Gimme the dirt... whats a quiet and calm chicken breed

Quote:
U must not like that one very much
lol.png

Ummmm....I love all my chickens. However, this particular one follows me around all the time "complaining". And fat? OMG this chicken is fat! So I named her Fatty ______. My SO made me change it though. Said he didn't like hearing her name every day. So now I call her Jezebel. He said that names reminds him of his ex too!
lau.gif

i am a bit more morbid. i plan on naming every duck chicken after a women wh caused a lot of grief in my life and almost ruined my marriage and then i slaughter them. I might throw my husbands Ex in too.

I just returned from having to give away my little Salmon Faverolle hen because she was too loud. She was as noisy as a rooster, constantly crowing and often having prolonged outbursts of screeching like a monkey. I'm sure everyone on our street and the next street over were wondering which house has a primate living in it's backyard. It broke my heart to do it but she went to the very best home one could ever find so I feel good about that. I don't know if that behavior is characteristic of a Faverolle or not but she was the noisest breed I have enountered.

My suggestions for the quietest backyard breeds are 1: Brahma [so gentle, sweet, and calm + they are good layers] and 2: Cochin [so lovable and calm as well - and so big and fluffy
smile.png
]. These are the two breeds that I'm going to stick to in the future.

My Cochins are real quiet and so are my Faverolles. The Faverolles are better layers generally.

My EEs are very very quiet too.

Quote:
pekins ?is that the same breed we call cochins on this side of the pond?

Yup, those are cochins.
My giant cochins are really laid back. They are great yard art, too.

Chel

I love my Silkies, but they're very jumpy and spazzy. My Sultan is quiet and cuddly, but she gets picked on a lot. My Sumatra is definitely not quiet - she's even crowed.

My banty Cochins are sweethearts. You can walk right up to them and pick them up and cuddle them. They'll even hop up on my lap or shoulder. They will "complain" if I don't give them what they want (usually to wander around the yard), but I would still say they're quiet birds. They lay the cutest little pinkish brown eggs too - one a day like clockwork.

As much as I love the beauty of my other girls, I'm starting to lean towards just having Cochins. They're easy, and they seem heartier than the others.

Here are Ruby and Willow:

12603_img_1255.jpg

12603_img_1231.jpg

Ellie, your Ruby and Willow are gorgeous! Ruby has the richest red color of any red cochin I've seen. I love cochins too. Like you, I've been so impressed with my golden-laced standard cochin Myrtle that I plan to get more in the future. Brahmas too - they go well together actually. Big, fluffy girls wearing big fuzzy slippers
tongue.png

Quote:
Oh, I'm so glad it's not a breed thing then. It was heart-breaking to have to give away my Faverolle but she was over-the-top noisy and flighty and she just wasn't suitable for a backyard chicken. Perhaps I'll try Faverolles again in the future when I live in a more suitable place with a large yard. They are so darn cute!

Back
Top Bottom