Ginger Red And Opal Colors?

Boggy Bottom Bantams

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Hahira, GA
Hi,
Had a man from Switzerland see my Ginger red d'anvers and asked how to create them as I could not ship to him overseas.
Well these are one of the odd ball d'anver colors I actually bought. So my question is...
What colors and formula of breeding does he need to follow in order to make his owe as they dont have them in any breed for out crossing there?
Also, he send me a pic of what he called an "opal OEGB"
To me, it looks like a silver pyle, colored just like the red pyle, but silver/grey instead of the red, all other body color is white...anyway, told him I'd post here and he asked about that one too while I was at it.

Any tips I could pass along to him, he would appreciate it.
I'm curious about that opal myself, it was gorgeous!

Boggy,
Ginger Red should be Black Breasted Red with Db added. (I believe Db is Dark Brown)

33115_dsc_0010.jpg

Chris

Hey Aubrey, If you would like some of the Opal Old English let me know I sold all my breeders but I think Gwen may still have some, if not I can see how much the people I sold my breeders to would sell me a pair for. I will also see if I can find pictures of our breeders and post them here. The Opal almost looks like a Self Blue except that the Opal's do not always breed true you can get Opal, Blue and Black out a breeding.

Steve

Aubrey, Your website isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
yes do that Steve if you dont mind, I'd like to have some...
just checked the site, It came right up?? May have had a server problem or something??

Thanks

Quote:
i understand, but what gene is opal..? i heard it came from blacks... that wouldn't make sense unless there was another gene involved... i thought they were like a sport/splash for self blue... crazy... no calculator has an opal option or gene...

Quote:
i understand, but what gene is opal..? i heard it came from blacks... that wouldn't make sense unless there was another gene involved... i thought they were like a sport/splash for self blue... crazy... no calculator has an opal option or gene...

yes, that's the same think I've been trying to figure out too gumbii
what makes it gene wise? I have since found some folks with them, but no one yet has been able to tell me how to go about breeding my own, which is my goal.
Only thing I have found on them seems like they are just a mutation color off breeding black to black??

Last edited:
Opal is a mystery, the color appeared when 2 black Old English of unknown origin produced some chicks. Opals are dun based, and that would make it a recessive. Contact Sjarvis on the OKIE thread, he is breeding them and very successfully I may add, and he is NOT crossing every color under the sun with the opals, his are breeding true. Most people i Have talked to with opals are having trouble with off colored chicks hatching, as opals have had all kinds of other colors crossed into them....

Quote:
yes, that's the same think I've been trying to figure out too gumbii
what makes it gene wise? I have since found some folks with them, but no one yet has been able to tell me how to go about breeding my own, which is my goal.
Only thing I have found on them seems like they are just a mutation color off breeding black to black??

The Opal did originate from a "Black" bird. in the current form in OE here in the US. the color itself has appeared several times before and has been documented by genetic researchers as early as 1986 in the US once again from "Black" OE. When investigated very closely the "black" oe were typically found to be the result of a cross a generation or two back with Lavender. Most serious breeders were culling these chicks at hatch one poultry enthusiast had a genetic guru friend who asked for a few to raise out himself back in teh early 80's and documented the color.

The color has since appeared in europe in the Vorwerk from a Lavender (self blue) and from Porcelian which is lavender in base as well.

The color itself appears to be a mutation and can breed true, the current thought on the color is that it is a mutated form of dominant white however without a "pure" specimen being sent out for geneotyping the answer may never really exist.

If you are looking for some to play with I do have a young pair (15 weeks of age) available that have had no outcrosses in several generations and no breeding anomolies or odd chick color, down color variations, leg and eye color are all stabilized.
If you are looking for a very good OE typed bird with good color I will have a few this fall, they are the result of a cross with recessive white three generations back then breed for type and selected for color as well. these are the F4 birds and are looking much better and getting back to good color this year as well, I epect next years to be even better.

Back
Top Bottom