Give me the dirt on turkeys

One thing to mention here, if you have wild turkeys present you do not want to let domesticated turkeys crossbreed with the wilds...

They can and will destroy the gene pool of the wilds..

Just keep that in mind if you have or are deciding on buying turkeys..

This is out of repect for the wild turkeys in this country..

Also some states may see free ranging as an act of releasing domesticated birds into the wilds..you must be careful there is a fine line here in most cases with this..

Blackhead, more info on it..
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26481--,00.html

Charlie

Last edited:
big_smile.png
hello all,
i just bought some red bourbon heritage turkeys. 1 tom and 3 hens. they are very pretty.
i would like to raise me a small flock of them since they are sort of on the watch list for turkeys.
most want to raise the commerical broad-breasted birds that you kill in a short time.

the heritage is getting hard to find so thought i would start a small flock here in indiana.

I reside in PA, and according to PA Game Commission website, "The Pennsylvania Game Commission allows people to possess pen-reared wild turkeys but does not allow release of the birds without a permit (Title 58, Section 137.2.). Release of pen-reared wild turkeys without a permit can result in fines."

Cited: Pennsylvania Game Commission. "Why You Should not Release Pen-Reared Turkeys." [Online] 23 October 2008. <http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=466&q=152260>

Pen raised wilds will need all kinds of blood test before you could even release them, if they would even allow it,..?

Any wild turkeys being or wanting to be raised under a PGC permit will require you now to purchase those wild turkeys from someone the PGC approves of first.

you should not get the birds till you apply for the permit and they will come inspect your pens as well.
also on the application they will want to know what breeder you are obtaining them from in Pa..If you have wild turkeys and try to sell them or even give them away for free with out a permit you would be fined and birds will be taken by the PGC if caught or turned in by someone..
Plus you will need a letter of approval from your township or Borough you reside in stating that you can have and raise turkeys(PGC will require this info) Under a PGC permit, pen raised Wilds are not to be freeranged..

Just make sure you follow there rules and everything will be good to go.

Charlie​

Last edited:
Quote:
Congratulations! You will love them...
Just make sure you pen them up for a few weeks before letting them out (if you're going to free-range them at all). Turkeys especially need to know where home is, and it seems I've heard a lot of folks say their new turkeys disappeared.
My hatched all summer long, so they are great mommas!

One more tip on free ranging,
if you free range your birds(turkeys) and they go near an area where hunting is permitted and your birds venture in there or are called in by a hunter (especially during spring mating season) they can legally kill that bird and take it home and eat it.

Ive heard and read some story's where hunter shot turkeys and thought they got a rare bird..of course they wind up at the taxidermist and have them mounted..

Charlie

Last edited:
Hey Sam, great article.., Here is one particular case i remember,,there is a taxidermist near me that had a royal palm in his shop a few years ago, A hunter shot it and thought it was a rare kill. The owner found out and tried to fight him for going on his property and killing it, the fact of the matter was it ventured onto game lands and was killed legally..Courts dismissed the case and the owner was fined for allowing it to free range off her property and she also paid court costs..I think it was shot in Northampton county.

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom