Question on turkey feeds?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wanted to ask about raising turkeys...? Thank you ahead of time.

What got me curious to ask about them is that I'd learned how geese are much more feed efficient than ducks and chickens. You can raise geese on practically nothing, since they can eat grass... and that grass really is a normal part of their daily food intake. So you can raise them with only having to buy feed in winter, and for training them to come and go with treats.

So this efficiency of how some other birds are more efficient, got me thinking about turkeys... Are turkeys like this in some way? Or do they have some advantages like geese that chickens don't have? I was curious if they can be raised cheaply also?

Also can turkeys be kept quiet for some types of breeds? Or are any of their breeds quieter than others?

In the old stories from the old west, people wrote that the indians in New Mexico raised turkeys naturally on their own before the whites came in. They were their 'poultry'. I was very curious to read this; specifically the pueblo indians. Does this mean turkeys can forage from sage brushy like arid, semi-arid areas? (This I find interesting to ask because its a game to try to find which poultry can forage on their own and in which climates to save on feed...)

Thank you.

Also can turkeys be kept quiet for some types of breeds? Or are any of their breeds quieter than others?
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. No, none of the varieties have been bred for a quiet trait.

Or do they have some advantages like geese that chickens don't have? I was curious if they can be raised cheaply also?
Turkeys are efficient foragers. You still need to supplement their feed. Food costs do go down in the summer for free range turkeys.

No, turkeys cannot be raised cheaply. If you want to raise them for food, you cannot raise turkeys for what you can buy "loss leader" turkeys at the grocery stores around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.
In the old stories from the old west, people wrote that the indians in New Mexico raised turkeys naturally on their own before the whites came in. They were their 'poultry'. I was very curious to read this; specifically the pueblo indians. Does this mean turkeys can forage from sage brush like arid, semi-arid areas?
Don't believe all the "old tales".

Wild turkeys can live in areas without supplemental feed because they migrate to other areas where food and water is available. You can't confine turkeys to a small area and expect them to survive without providing them with sufficient feed and water.

Back
Top Bottom