Turkey Pen setup and prep…(prev used for ckns)

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi. I am setting up a turkey pen/roost. I have done a lot of reading but have some specific questions: I will be keeping 3 toms (Bourbon Red, Narragansett and Black Spanish And 2 hens of each). It was previously used for chickens up until this past week. I will be keeping my chickens separate from my turkeys to avoid health issues like blackhead. What can I do to the turkey run and roost, where the chickens have only lived for about four months, to prepare it for the Turkeys? Should I spread DE on the ground (which is dirt/some grass and gets wet when it rains because it is not level) of the pen? Is cleaning the floor of the roost, which is linoleum and wood, with a vinegar solution enough? I just want to be sure my turkeys can’t get sick… Even though my chickens are super healthy and I’ve never had any problems. Also…any thoughts about what turkeys need in a pen (besides larger nest boxes and openings) that would be different from a chickens’ needs? Is it ok that the 3 toms and 6 hens will all be living together? The area will be about 30 sq ft inside roost area and 150 sq ft outside pen space. I am hoping to eventually use some poultry netting to give them more space during the day…but not sure how I can do that for several months yet. One more thing….(can tell I am new with turkeys?)…do the turkey hens need nest boxes before next year when they lay again? If not…I will wait to build them then. Thanks SO much!

Last edited:
Hi. I am setting up a turkey pen/roost. I have done a lot of reading but have some specific questions: I will be keeping 3 toms (Bourbon Red, Narragansett and Black Spanish And 2 hens of each). It was previously used for chickens up until this past week. I will be keeping my chickens separate from my turkeys to avoid health issues like blackhead. What can I do to the turkey run and roost, where the chickens have only lived for about four months, to prepare it for the Turkeys? Should I spread DE on the ground (which is dirt/some grass and gets wet when it rains because it is not level) of the pen? Is cleaning the floor of the roost, which is linoleum and wood, with a vinegar solution enough? I just want to be sure my turkeys can’t get sick… Even though my chickens are super healthy and I’ve never had any problems. Also…any thoughts about what turkeys need in a pen (besides larger nest boxes and openings) that would be different from a chickens’ needs? Is it ok that the 3 toms and 6 hens will all be living together? The area will be about 30 sq ft inside roost area and 150 sq ft outside pen space. I am hoping to eventually use some poultry netting to give them more space during the day…but not sure how I can do that for several months yet. One more thing….(can tell I am new with turkeys?)…do the turkey hens need nest boxes before next year when they lay again? If not…I will wait to build them then. Thanks SO much!
If blackhead is a problem in your area turkeys should not be on ground that has not been chicken free for at least 4 years. If blackhead isn't a problem there is nothing to worry about.

You will cause yourself a lot of grief, poor egg fertilization and potentially injured or dead hens if you keep all the turkeys together. I try to keep at least 4 to 5 hens for one tom. If you want 3 separate breeding groups, you need 3 separate pens which are either out of sight of each other or have a no see through divider between them. You have enough hens for one tom.

30 sq. ft. is only big enough for 3 adult turkeys. Adult turkeys unlike chickens do not like to roost next to each other. They also need about 30' to land when getting off of a 6' high roost.

Turkey hens unless raising a clutch will resume laying eggs until fall. Most turkey hens just want a hidden site to have their nest and lay their eggs. Toms should never be allowed access to a hen's nest.

@R2elk is sooo right.
If you are getting poults, you can let them hang together for a bit while you build out the other areas.
....because you sound confident of the sex of your new turkeys.... I’m guessing that they are not freshly hatched.

What did you decide to do?

@R2elk is sooo right.
If you are getting poults, you can let them hang together for a bit while you build out the other areas.
....because you sound confident of the sex of your new turkeys.... I’m guessing that they are not freshly hatched.

@R2elk is sooo right.

We just completed a 150 sq ft enclosed roost building that has a short door between 2 areas (one is 50 sq ft and the other is 100 sq ft. We decided it was better to have the option to separate if we need to, should there be a health issue or injury or if they just need to ‘get away’ from each other for a bit. So far….they all seem comfortable with it. And my husband has just about completed an outside pen area about 700 sq ft in size…and about 10’ in height. It is safely enclosed, but still offers them grass for grazing and room to fly. I may offer an extension to that area with a poultry netting…but not sure if I will need to do that yet.
I currently have about 14 poults. I will be keeping 3 or 4 of the boys and all of the girls…not sure how many that will be just yet, but I have the option now to keep the girls separate from the boys if I find that to be a better situation. I have been talking to a lot of people with turkeys and they all have males living together in pens with just a few gals for a long while and have not had any big problems. One couple in particular has all their adult turkeys trained to go inside to roost…they use treats shaken in a plastic container. The birds are familiar with the sound and know they will get treats by going into the roost…so that sounds like something that could work for me too. New adventure…but I just LOVE having them. They are like puppies! They are so loving and sweet. I wish I could keep them all, but since that isn’t possible I will just enjoy them all for right now.

We just completed a 150 sq ft enclosed roost building that has a short door between 2 areas (one is 50 sq ft and the other is 100 sq ft. We decided it was better to have the option to separate if we need to, should there be a health issue or injury or if they just need to ‘get away’ from each other for a bit. So far….they all seem comfortable with it. And my husband has just about completed an outside pen area about 700 sq ft in size…and about 10’ in height. It is safely enclosed, but still offers them grass for grazing and room to fly. I may offer an extension to that area with a poultry netting…but not sure if I will need to do that yet.
I currently have about 14 poults. I will be keeping 3 or 4 of the boys and all of the girls…not sure how many that will be just yet, but I have the option now to keep the girls separate from the boys if I find that to be a better situation. I have been talking to a lot of people with turkeys and they all have males living together in pens with just a few gals for a long while and have not had any big problems. One couple in particular has all their adult turkeys trained to go inside to roost…they use treats shaken in a plastic container. The birds are familiar with the sound and know they will get treats by going into the roost…so that sounds like something that could work for me too. New adventure…but I just LOVE having them. They are like puppies! They are so loving and sweet. I wish I could keep them all, but since that isn’t possible I will just enjoy them all for right now.
Keeping a bunch of toms with a few hens during breeding season is a recipe for disaster.

The boys will fight, unfortunately, @R2elk is (as usual) right.

If they are babies now, you have some time.
And.
Come next spring. EVERYthing will change, likely literally in a day.
The hens start to ....prepare for the boys.
And the boys will try to tear each other apart while tearing up your hens as they try to mount them while fighting.

Don’t let that day happen.

Separate your girls. 3-5 hens in a group with one Tom is a good target. You can do fewer hens if you must, depending on your breeding goals (if any).... but, in any case, you -have- to make sure the girls are safe, and have a safe place to nest/ get away from the Tom if they need a break.

The Tom needs to not have access to the nesting area.
IDK what variety of Turkeys you have- but it can be as simple as setting up a pallet against a wall in the coop, or some “dog loo” type kennels (without doors) in a secure run (I don’t think your coop is big enough to put them inside....?)
Most adult Toms will be too large to fit into those areas as adults.

If you have multiple varieties/ breeding groups, they need to not be able to see each other. Separate by distance or secure visual barrier.

If you decide to hang onto some Toms for future breeding stock / the winter holiday season / processing.... they need to be also separated, ideally well away from the breeding group(s) and at the least by a very stout and fairly tall visual barrier.

Just my 0.02$
You will find other, unexpected ways to lose some of your turkeys.
Having to cull one after a lost brawl or overbreeding is not
Hmmm
High on my list of reasons I’d like to have to cull one of my miniature pterodactyls 😉

The boys will fight, unfortunately, @R2elk is (as usual) right.

If they are babies now, you have some time.
And.
Come next spring. EVERYthing will change, likely literally in a day.
The hens start to ....prepare for the boys.
And the boys will try to tear each other apart while tearing up your hens as they try to mount them while fighting.

Don’t let that day happen.

Separate your girls. 3-5 hens in a group with one Tom is a good target. You can do fewer hens if you must, depending on your breeding goals (if any).... but, in any case, you -have- to make sure the girls are safe, and have a safe place to nest/ get away from the Tom if they need a break.

The Tom needs to not have access to the nesting area.
IDK what variety of Turkeys you have- but it can be as simple as setting up a pallet against a wall in the coop, or some “dog loo” type kennels (without doors) in a secure run (I don’t think your coop is big enough to put them inside....?)
Most adult Toms will be too large to fit into those areas as adults.

If you have multiple varieties/ breeding groups, they need to not be able to see each other. Separate by distance or secure visual barrier.

If you decide to hang onto some Toms for future breeding stock / the winter holiday season / processing.... they need to be also separated, ideally well away from the breeding group(s) and at the least by a very stout and fairly tall visual barrier.

Just my 0.02$
You will find other, unexpected ways to lose some of your turkeys.
Having to cull one after a lost brawl or overbreeding is not
Hmmm
High on my list of reasons I’d like to have to cull one of my miniature pterodactyls 😉
I won’t be keeping a bunch of toms. I will be choosing which to keep after they are old enough for me to tell which exactly are the boys. I have a few people waiting to give the rest of the boys wonderful homes.

I won’t be keeping a bunch of toms. I will be choosing which to keep after they are old enough for me to tell which exactly are the boys. I have a few people waiting to give the rest of the boys wonderful homes.
And I understand what you are saying about them fighting…but like I said in my post earlier…there are times when it can work too. They are still young right now….10 weeks and some are younger (6 weeks). I am going slowly through the introduction process with them right now so they can stay together until some go to their new homes. They are too different in size to put them all together right now.

Back
Top Bottom