Door Size

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi! I have a pen (about 8x16) that extends off of my larger pen where my turkey Toms (3- 2 Narraganset, 1 Bourbon Red) and hens (7- 2 Narraganset, 3 bourbon red, 1 black Spanish, 1 blue slate) live. I was thinking I would make the little pen area a temporary ‘home’ for 2 of the Tom’s during mating season and only allow one tom at a time To be with the hens, but decided it may be better to make that area a safe nesting area for the hens that the toms cannot access. (Any thoughts about which may be the best use of that space for the safety of the hens are appreciated). Is it possible to make a door size that the hens can access, but that the Tom’s cannot? IF so…what would that size be or how can I tell what size to make the doorway by the size of my birds? They don’t really seem too much different in size, but, of course, the hens are a bit smaller. I am mostly concerned about the safety of my hens during mating season…and will likely be collecting the eggs from the nest as they lay them, rather than letting them sit on them.…(hence the thought of using that space for the Tom’s instead of the hens). Thanks for your help…this coming spring will be my first ‘mating’ turkey season…even though one of my males continues to try to mount one of the (offering) Narraganset gals. 😑

Last edited:
I have a 4x4ft box with a ft square door about 6 inches up the side. Broody Hens have used it and the toms never bothered them. But a lame old tom has been chased in their by his grandjakes. He can get out just fine when they get bored and go off to fight amongst themselves.

A quarter of scrap plywood leaning against the wall works to keep the toms out.
KIMG0362_02.JPG

Or a dog house
KIMG0365_01.JPG

Hi! I have a pen (about 8x16) that extends off of my larger pen where my turkey Toms (3- 2 Narraganset, 1 Bourbon Red) and hens (7- 2 Narraganset, 3 bourbon red, 1 black Spanish, 1 blue slate) live. I was thinking I would make the little pen area a temporary ‘home’ for 2 of the Tom’s during mating season and only allow one tom at a time To be with the hens, but decided it may be better to make that area a safe nesting area for the hens that the toms cannot access. (Any thoughts about which may be the best use of that space for the safety of the hens are appreciated). Is it possible to make a door size that the hens can access, but that the Tom’s cannot? IF so…what would that size be or how can I tell what size to make the doorway by the size of my birds? They don’t really seem too much different in size, but, of course, the hens are a bit smaller. I am mostly concerned about the safety of my hens during mating season…and will likely be collecting the eggs from the nest as they lay them, rather than letting them sit on them.…(hence the thought of using that space for the Tom’s instead of the hens). Thanks for your help…this coming spring will be my first ‘mating’ turkey season…even though one of my males continues to try to mount one of the (offering) Narraganset gals. 😑
Preventing the tom's access to the nesting area is important but so is limiting the hen's access to only one tom at a time.

Heritage hens can get through an 8"x8" hole.

Preventing the tom's access to the nesting area is important but so is limiting the hen's access to only one tom at a time.

Thanks for your reply. Yes…I know both are important, but I only have the one extra space currently. I know several people that do not separate their Tom’s and hens because they have always been together and get along well. I have this same situation, but want to use this area the best way that protects the hens. Still looking for more feedback, but leaning toward using it for the toms…since we will be collecting the eggs.

I have a 4x4ft box with a ft square door about 6 inches up the side. Broody Hens have used it and the toms never bothered them. But a lame old tom has been chased in their by his grandjakes. He can get out just fine when they get bored and go off to fight amongst themselves.

A quarter of scrap plywood leaning against the wall works to keep the toms out.
View attachment 3691290

Or a dog house
View attachment 3691291
The scrap plywood really sounds like a great idea. That would work well in my situation. Thanks for that suggestion.

I know several people that do not separate their Tom’s and hens because they have always been together and get along well.
I know too many people that have done this and ended up with injured and dead hens. The other problem with too many toms having access to the hens at the same time is low fertility because the toms do their best to make sure the other toms don't breed the hens.

I know too many people that have done this and ended up with injured and dead hens. The other problem with too many toms having access to the hens at the same time is low fertility because the toms do their best to make sure the other toms don't breed the hens.
Well…I guess both situations are possible…and seeing mine all together and the initial ‘mating’ scenarios that are currently taking course, I think my little ones will be ok together, but I am still leaning towards keeping only one of the males with the females at a time and using that extra space for the other 2 Toms…until mating season is over. BTW…can you tell me…will the Tom’s try to mount the hens on a roost at night also? Just curious about that. Thanks again.

Well…I guess both situations are possible…and seeing mine all together and the initial ‘mating’ scenarios that are currently taking course, I think my little ones will be ok together, but I am still leaning towards keeping only one of the males with the females at a time and using that extra space for the other 2 Toms…until mating season is over. BTW…can you tell me…will the Tom’s try to mount the hens on a roost at night also? Just curious about that. Thanks again.
If toms can see each other they try to fight through the fence and forget to breed.

The hen has to lay down.
Mine have never tried on the roost.

If toms can see each other they try to fight through the fence and forget to breed.

The hen has to lay down.
Mine have never tried on the roost.
Thank you. Yes..I was thinking I would use the temporary privacy fences…the fabric ones that people use for their pool areas. They would hang nicely on the pen walls…like I use on my chicken pens to keep the wind out of the pen Floor areas.

Back
Top Bottom