Giving a mama of 6wk olds a new set of chicks?

QChickieMama

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 1, 2011
My broody mama, a buff orp, is raising her 6 chicks currently & they're getting big at 6 weeks old. I want one of my hens to raise more chicks before fall. What are the odds of this mama taking new chicks when her big ones are 6wks?

OR would I have better luck giving babies to a hen who has been a mama in the past but isn't currently broody?

My broody mama, a buff orp, is raising her 6 chicks currently & they're getting big at 6 weeks old. I want one of my hens to raise more chicks before fall. What are the odds of this mama taking new chicks when her big ones are 6wks?

OR would I have better luck giving babies to a hen who has been a mama in the past but isn't currently broody?
Odds of either being successful are poor.. very poor. Highly likely to end in the death of some new chicks. Even the 6 week old chicks would try to eliminate the new comers if left in the same space.

Wait for one of them to become broody again. Or at least have a back up plan to intervene and be prepared to raise them yourself if need arises. :fl

Back
Top Bottom