Giving my silkie hen 6 week old chicks

lovinsilkies18

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Hi,
I have a silkie hen that is my only adult chicken. I have 2, 4 week old chicks in the brooder along with a 2 week wyandotte and eventually 2, day old polish. I was wondering if there is a good way of introducing the chicks batch at a time to the silkie hen? Do I need to worry to much considering the silkie is tiny and can barely see and the chicks are small as well?
Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

The chicks can't be with the silkie until they are fully feathered and since you are introducing a gaggle of small chickens to one lone silkie it shouldn't be too big a deal. Give them a week together where they are together but separate. Like a dog crate in the coop with the silkie. After a week let them mingle supervised. And that should be it

I probably did it totally wrong, but I got a 4 month old Silkie pullet and 3 Barred Rocks at 3 days old and put them all in the same brooder. I didn't have any issues, and now my Silkie is a surrogate mama to them. I got 2 more chicks 2 weeks later and did have problems trying to integrate them with the rest of the brood. They are now residing in a brooder of their own, which makes it easier because they need it warmer than the nearly 3 week old chicks. Maybe I just got lucky because the Silkie is only 4 months old? Since doing this, I've seen others using a broody Silkie to raise their chicks!

Back
Top Bottom