Giving up a child?

News from the Oes

I guess I owe you all an update.
The restbite centre we went to that we thought was right for Danny turned out ot be not so.
The reason why this was is because when we went back for the second visit the place had a totally different atmosphere. The residence were screeming and crying and it was so loud and intence. I could hardly think. I certainly would not have wanted to spend any time there. - We took Dan for a T visit and he did not do well at all. It was clear that the noise levels were upsetting him and due to his eye sight issues his hearing is quite acute. For me the place reminded me of a victorian lunatic assylem. I was shocked to see a resident in what could only be described as a baby romper being dragged to her feet and another being left to screem. When I talked to the lady in charge she just said "oh welcome to the real world?" I was so shocked because that world is deffinately not Danny's world. There is only DH and I in our home so it is very quiet. He works in a very small group in the adult day care centre with a small number of one to one staff who he knows very well. Dh and I went out of that facility and we both looked at eachother and said "NO WAY" and then we burst into tears.

On the upside having argued with our social worker about the facillity and why it was not right for Dan we were finally refered to a unit that was a bit further away.
It was a new centre and the residence were just getting sorted out so everyone is new. It is a bungalow in its own grounds but not on a large site. It has a little front garden for reidence to sit in or help to water and weed. It has a patio for BBQs and a play area with a big trampoline at the side garden. Inside it has - well if your friends you come in the utility door. - funny because I thought this was a laugh and quite welcoming. We went through the laundry so you could see the gubbings of the place and the residence are encouraged to "help". Danny of course can put his dirty clothes into a basket and carry it to the laundry if he is "helped". Then you go through and you end up in this big open area with a "family table and chairs" in the middle. That is good for eating but also any craft activities. It is a very bright room because at the other end it opens up into a big sun lounge which Danny enjoyed sitting in. It is bright and big and good for his poor vision. The other end has a big thick wooden half door which bolts over and the other side of that is the Kitchen which is all open plan so you can see into it. But the big wooden half door keeps folk out who may not be mindful of hot things. We were told that residents are allowed into the kitchen with suppervision - because they have to put away their dishes into the dish washer and their rubbish in the bin. They are encouraged to do small tasks like getting milk from the fridge and a spoon from the drawer to make Tea. It was a lovely "family" attmoshere and nothing like the attitudes of the other place. I am so thankful we walked away from it. This is much better for Danny. When you come out of the kitchen you go through a doorway into a hall. Oposite is a door into the lounge area where there is a TV and films and games. But it is also a quiet room too where residence can go to chill out and rest. It is lovely and decorated with brown leather couches and lots of scatter cusions. It is like a lovely real home. Then down the hall is a bedroom
(yellow room) then a "family" bathroom. There is all the equipment for washing, bath aids and hoists and everything but it still looks like a nice ordinary bathroom. Then there is another bedroom opposite that one.
(Purple room) After that it opens up into what is the front hall and front door ( which no one seems to use!) But there is a stair up to the next floor and that opens up to a big bedroom up there with twin beds and loads of computer stuff and computer games.(red room) It also has its own bathroom. - It is apparently for the noisy boys! It is like they have their own little flat! That is lovely for them as they have more privacy and they can make noise and not disturb others wanting a quiet time downstairs in the sun room! Back down stairs and further along the hall there are two more rooms a third bedroom on the right (the green room) It is quite a nice room at the end of the bungalow and the other side to the left is a big (Blue room) with a big bed and a desk and a lovely chair to sit in. It also is very bright as it has patio doors going outside onto the decking where the BBQ is and directly oposite it the Trampoline! You can see a double garage from there but it has been changed into office space so that there is NO "work" inside the care bungalow. The Blue room is good for someonelike dan who uses a wheelchair as they can gain access easily. So it looks the perfect place for our boy. Dan went for a Tea visit and really loved it. The staf f are nice and most have had disabled children of their own or relitives have. There were no upsets at all for Danny and he enjoyed the sun room very much indeed. He seems to gravitate to the brighter areas. He headed straight for the Blue room which are the exact colours he has here at home and he also has a chair in his room like the one there. So it is familier to him which is better too for settling in.

We are due to have another Tea visit soon and maybe then we will start getting him proper restbite overnight care!!!!!!!!!!!
As DH just had a second bout of heart surgery this is so important to us both.

Oes

Last edited:
Glad you got a second look,and saw it how it really was.What a nightmare it would have been for him.I do hope you find something somewhere that will give you both what you need.

I am thankful that you care enough to watch what is really going on and have the where with all to fight for what is good for your son. I hope he is happy and makes friends and does well in his new enviroment, and you are at peace with your choice. Bless you for loving him so much.

fl.gif

We told the social worker that eventhough we were desperite for the care we would NOT just grab at the nearest thing given. She seemed to be working on a one size fits all type of thing. But that is not true everone is different and while some folk would thrive in a loud noisy environment Danny certainly would not. Also with the smaller unit there is scope for him to get involved with his own daily care needs and routines. Like laundry, cooking, making a cuppa. That is what life is about the little things. The bigger unit was more hospital type looking back and so no access to laundry or kitchen which isn;t going to help someone learning to be useful!
We are going away soon so DD is looking after Dan and the house etc. but there will come a time soon that she wont be able to do that. She will be working or moving away to get work and so I cannot just rely on her or our eldest son to help. Some where along the line adult care services have to step in. After all Dan is 25yrs old now not a child. Ben the other lad is being cared for in the community and we are in the process of signing full care for him over he is also 25yrs old. There comes a time when even disabled chicks have to leave the nest!
Oes - I am happier I just want it all to start soon.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, in my experiences, many group homes out there are like the first one you described and walked away from. It is really sad, but I guess when there are no other options, people do what they have to do. I'm glad you may have found a better place for Danny! The second place sounds lovely!

Is there a waiting list for the second place? I hope you can find a good place for him - it sounds like he could thrive there.

We have the placement secured so it is just a matter of getting through their protocalls. They like to faff about and have lots of Tea visits! Lol but then if we didn;t go to a few Tea visits in the last place we would not have seen how it really was and how awful it would have been for Danny.

oes

We have the placement secured so it is just a matter of getting through their protocalls. They like to faff about and have lots of Tea visits! Lol but then if we didn;t go to a few Tea visits in the last place we would not have seen how it really was and how awful it would have been for Danny.

oes
I'm so glad you have a place for him. It is probably good that he visits for a few times so he gets more comfortable with the place. How lucky you are that you didn't pick the other place, this one sounds lovely and a good fit for your son.

Maybe you should (I don't know if you can) change the title of this thread. You are not giving him up, you are letting him go - you will never give him up.

Back
Top Bottom