Glass Eggs - Can they kill snakes?

I have heard this like forever. I do it myself to keep no-shoulders away from my hen nests. Does it work? I doubt it.

I have found snakes inside of a brooder coop with the mother hen and her chicks, then after eating a chick or two the snake can't get back through the wire. If this happens to you, don't delay or let the opportunity to easily kill a snake slip buy. If he becomes alarmed, the snake will spit up the dead chick and be on his way. Whats to keep no shoulders from tossing a golf ball or glass egg just a easily?

Almost all snakes that prey on eggs has a special "tooth" @ the top back part of its throat. This "tooth" is designed to pierce or cut the egg shell, something like a pipping chick does with its egg tooth. This spills the egg's contents so that it can travel to the snakes stomach. The crumpled egg shell is then quickly spit it up.

Would I still use golfballs, glass, stone, or pottery nest eggs? Yes, they are good nest eggs and I am convinced that they encourage hens to lay where you want them to, that is just as long as the hen agrees with our choice of a nesting sight.
lol.png

If you are unaware of how snakes eat eggs--here it is. They swallow the egg and then crush it. The purpose of the glass egg is for them to swallow it, crush it and then die from the internal injury. The eggs that old timers used were thin glass like a lightbulb. Thanks Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom