Gleet maybe?

Tammie69

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
I have a 3 yr old RIR hen that has had a nasty butt. Discharge is green and smelly. She is lethargic and just lays around and sleeps. We have been soaking every evening and keeping her inside for warmth. Could this be more serious and what else other than spraying her with antimicrobial could help her.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 23
Do you know when she last laid? Has she molted this year?
It appears to be runny droppings and she may have an infection, I don't think it's gleet.
Is her crop empty, full, hard, soft and squishy, etc? Also check it first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water, it should be empty then. If it's not then that indicates a problem. Feel her abdomen, below the vent between the legs for any bloat, either very firm, or water balloon like. Have you ever wormed her or had a fecal test done to check for internal parasites?

Do you know when she last laid? Has she molted this year?
It appears to be runny droppings and she may have an infection, I don't think it's gleet.
Is her crop empty, full, hard, soft and squishy, etc? Also check it first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water, it should be empty then. If it's not then that indicates a problem. Feel her abdomen, below the vent between the legs for any bloat, either very firm, or water balloon like. Have you ever wormed her or had a fecal test done to check for internal parasites?
Sadly she passed a short time ago. Her crop was empty. Molted in the Fall and feathers looked great. She hasn’t been laying while being sick. The only thing other than the green poop is her vent seemed small and not easily opened when cleaning her. She was x wormed in the Fall and no signs of mites or other parasites ever. Any thoughts would be much appreciated in case one of the other girls get sick. I have VetRX, ivermectin and antimicrobial spray in my sick kit. What else should I keep on hand for emergencies. Thank you for any help, I hate losing a bird.

Reproductive problems are not uncommon in birds over the age of two, particularly heavy laying breeds. Without a necropsy it would just be guessing, many things can present with similar symptoms. Ivermectin is not the best wormer, some parasites are becoming resistant. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen are better choices and will treat most of the common parasites except coccidia and tapeworm. Chlorhexidine (hibiclens) is good to have on hand and many of us keep amoxicillin or some other antibiotics that can be purchased as fish medications without prescription on hand. Terramycin eye ointment is good to have on hand, plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment also. Corid for coccidiosis.

Reproductive problems are not uncommon in birds over the age of two, particularly heavy laying breeds. Without a necropsy it would just be guessing, many things can present with similar symptoms. Ivermectin is not the best wormer, some parasites are becoming resistant. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen are better choices and will treat most of the common parasites except coccidia and tapeworm. Chlorhexidine (hibiclens) is good to have on hand and many of us keep amoxicillin or some other antibiotics that can be purchased as fish medications without prescription on hand. Terramycin eye ointment is good to have on hand, plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment also. Corid for coccidiosis.
Thank you very much. I hate having.sick birds and not knowing what to do. I look things up and try to help but it is usually too late to help them. We have only had them 3 years and other than hawks no illness til now. Thank you for all your help. It is invaluable to me and my flock

Wanted to add, calcium citrate +d (citracal or generic equivalent) is good to have in case you have an egg binding or difficulty passing an egg, as well as a B complex or super B complex tablet or capsule (human ones from any pharmacy), and vitamin E. Those are really commonly used.

Back
Top Bottom