Help! Please! Mareks? Vent Gleet? Impacted Crop? 6 month old Chicken

balletchickenmom

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Nashville, TN
So this chicken has been quarantined now for a couple of days and is progressively getting worse. She is lethargic, wobly, her wings are drooping and I have had to bathe her bottom (It's yellow-orange-ish) has insane discharge attaching to her feathers. I broguht her inside 3 days ago because of extreme temperatures outside, and she was acting puffed up for about a week now. I have given her Corrid, and then gave her a break. Now I was trying safeguard to see if it would help deworming (she's on day 2) and idk if that is a good idea to keep continuing. She's barely eating or drinking water. She hasn't been roosting at night which is contributing to her poopy bottom. I have washed it numerous times at this point.

I'm worried this is Mareks, vent gleet, or impacted crop. Can vent gleet really cause this big of an issue? how would you treat an impacted crop if that's what this is? I thought that the crop was located more to the right, but this looks like it's a golf ball centered under her head that appeared in the past hour and is coming out of her chest. I've attached the image below. She is wobbly, constantly sleeping. I'm trying really hard to nurse her back to health but I am at a loss of what to do at this point. She is legit skin and bones at this point. If you lift up her feathers her bottom is yellow, orange and there is a lump (could just be her bones) on the right side. It could just be the way she was sitting. Oh and her feet curl under every time you pick her up and she has a hard time laying them back out flat. It's important to note that our other cream leg bar (potentially a brother) passed on Thanksgiving, randomly without any signs other than he looked a little puffy just the day before.

Any information or thoughts would be helpful. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5297.jpg
    IMG_5297.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5300.jpg
    IMG_5300.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 8
So this chicken has been quarantined now for a couple of days and is progressively getting worse. She is lethargic, wobly, her wings are drooping and I have had to bathe her bottom (It's yellow-orange-ish) has insane discharge attaching to her feathers. I broguht her inside 3 days ago because of extreme temperatures outside, and she was acting puffed up for about a week now. I have given her Corrid, and then gave her a break. Now I was trying safeguard to see if it would help deworming (she's on day 2) and idk if that is a good idea to keep continuing. She's barely eating or drinking water. She hasn't been roosting at night which is contributing to her poopy bottom. I have washed it numerous times at this point.

I'm worried this is Mareks, vent gleet, or impacted crop. Can vent gleet really cause this big of an issue? how would you treat an impacted crop if that's what this is? I thought that the crop was located more to the right, but this looks like it's a golf ball centered under her head that appeared in the past hour and is coming out of her chest. I've attached the image below. She is wobbly, constantly sleeping. I'm trying really hard to nurse her back to health but I am at a loss of what to do at this point. She is legit skin and bones at this point. If you lift up her feathers her bottom is yellow, orange and there is a lump (could just be her bones) on the right side. It could just be the way she was sitting. Oh and her feet curl under every time you pick her up and she has a hard time laying them back out flat. It's important to note that our other cream leg bar (potentially a brother) passed on Thanksgiving, randomly without any signs other than he looked a little puffy just the day before.

Any information or thoughts would be helpful. Thank you
How does her crop feel? Is it hard, squishy, or doughy?

If I'm putting my hand in the correct place—lower on the right hand side, it felt like squishy/doughy? But where she's puffed up like right where her neck is puffed up it's hard—as if it's her neck bone?
She may have an impacted crop.

With her being scrunched up, you maybe feeling her neck bones.

I just bought my newest chickens Raven & Oreo both seramas, not sure of their ages but I’m worried that Oreo may have Merriks or something else. She has droopy wings, she’s loosing her balance, if I pick her up then put her back down she will just sit or lay down, and she can’t balance on my smaller roost(but all of the others can.) Does this sound like anything familiar

Back
Top Bottom