Gluten Free Baking (& Cooking) Thread

I am so happy I found this thread!! My eight year old daughter has Celiac Disease. I will post a wonderful recipe I have for gluten free bread using a mixture of flours. Tapioca, sorgum and corn starch. It is really a light, yummy bread! :)

Me, too!
I am on week 4 of my gluten-free diet, and it has made me feel amazing. It is tough though - especially because I work as a baker at a restaurant (So, I am not gluten free until the fall when my part-time job making GF/DF snack foods for a local company moves from part time to full time.) and am constantly surrounded by temptation.

Me, too!
I am on week 4 of my gluten-free diet, and it has made me feel amazing. It is tough though - especially because I work as a baker at a restaurant (So, I am not gluten free until the fall when my part-time job making GF/DF snack foods for a local company moves from part time to full time.) and am constantly surrounded by temptation.
Wow if being GF wasn't hard enough, to be newly GF and work as a baker!
th.gif

I look at it as a real test of my will power.
Especially today - I made a Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake with Marscapone & Dolce De Leche. It has a shortcake crust & a strawberry compote worked into the filling with the Dolce & Marscapone. They were gorgeous things. Too bad for me.
It would be harder if I didn't feel SO MUCH BETTER without gluten. I am sure I am not 100% GF yet - I inhale so much flour everyday. I notice now how it affects my sinuses & skin - I never noticed before.

My daughters gastro doctor and dietician told us to have her wear a surgical mask if she is baking with any type of gluten. It's not an issue with us because I only bake GF, but you may want to think about trying it! :)

I am sadly on the gluten free bandwagon now since a few weeks ago. I just tried a muffin recipe last night and had to throw away the whole batch as it was incredibly awful. All those ingredients and money wasted. So I'm a little discouraged, but I'm glad I found this thread. The lemon poppy seed muffins look very good. I'll have to print up that recipe and give it a try sometime.

I didn't read through all of the posts--there were a lot of them, but we are a gluten free household as well. My daughter was diagnosed a little over a year ago and we've been recipe hunting since then. In case no one mentioned it, although I can't imagine they didn't, King Arthur Flour has loads of great baking recipes on their website in their gluten free section. They also have some wonderful breads. I'm very picky about bread, but we've found that the millet bread has a cornbread feel, and the baked muffins and cakes are frequently hard to tell from gluten based recipes.

Also, I just made a very easy gf dinner the other night--playing with left over camp ingredients. We also avoid starches, but my husband had brought home shredded potatoes, so I needed to use them up.

2 bags simply potatoes shredded hash browns, one southwest, one regular
2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 orange or red bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 package of cubed ham
1 stick of salted butter, melted
Salt and pepper to taste
eggs, eggs, eggs!

Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Combine everything but the eggs in a bowl, mix to combine. Place everything in the baking dish and bake at 425 until bubbly and the top is crisp (took about an hour for us).

Top each serving with eggs done your favorite way.

Back
Top Bottom