GMOS' Genetically modified feed?

CountryBirdGirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
What brand of feed does Purina make that does NOT contain GMOS' Genetically modified organism ingredients? If only one brand is available, then why not make ALL of your feed safe? Pease don't answer with just a thinly veiled advertisement.

I don't believe anyone is looking intentionally to add unsafe and untested GMO's to their chickens feed. It's bad enough that it's in most of the food now found on grocery store shelves (just look somewhere near the ingredients, as a recent law now mandates that companies must state it on their products), even though many of them have been adding it unbeknownst to the public, for decades!

Aside from the company making larger profits using GMO's, what does Purina claim is it's benefits?

Their line of organic feed is GMO free as all organic should be.

The problem for feed manufacturers is that 88% of corn and 93% or soybeans grown in the US is genetically modified. So where will all the grain come from if all the feed was GMO free?

This isn't a thinly veiled advertisement but I don't think there is an advantage except that is all that is in the grain silos.
I don't think there's a profit advantage either. If there were any, it would be with organic, GMO free and soy free.
Since those are specialized feeds and not readily available, manufacturers can boost the price on those.
The market of conventional feeds is very competitive so I doubt the profit margins are as high there.

There is so little market for organic/gmo free that most companies don't want to mess with it. It requires a separate mill and storage for a product that may not turn over as readily.

Thanks for responding Chicken Canoe. Actually the profit margin is much higher for companies to use GMO's. That's one of the reasons that you will now see it listed on many of the food products.
And.... the only reason they now list it, is because they legally have to do so. Sad, but true.

What about all the decades that we have been feeding our animals, and ourselves(!) these genetically artificial ingredients? If they cared so much and felt it was safe, why hide it all these years? You have to wonder why Cancer is so commonplace.

The problem is that the poor farmers have to go through so much red tape to be certified as organic and much larger companies who own and control the majority of the seeds, lean on them and squeeze them out of business. Large corporations run the show and could care less whether or not they might very well be hurting the health of the consumer or their animals. GMO's simply give better profits.

Simply put, why did the large companies hide GMO's all these years, if it was safe?
Just look at side effects of prescription drugs and what the companies below deem to be safe, to see what I mean.
The fact that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA); and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is overseeing the GMO's makes me all the more distrusting, in my humble opinion. Who funds these very groups? Follow the money....
For instance on the link which you had provided it states "Should genetically modified foods be labeled as such? This does not apply to chicken, as chickens and chicken meat are not genetically modified."

If they are eating GMO's, then they and whoever consumes either their eggs, or meat is still consuming GMO's, as it is in their feed!

I've seen plants ridiculously tall that appeared to be healthy, but they're simply "frankenfoods" for less than a better name.
The irony is that as I type this, I'm seeing an advertisement on this site that is really odd, especially considering the topic of unsafe food and the very genetic seeds (and monstrous size company) that they come from.

I for one, don't want to trust my chickens health or my own for that matter, simply by observing their growth or immediate health. Cancer and side effects from these artificial ingredients, manufactured in a laboratory can take decades to show up. Why subject anything or anyone you care about to being a guinea pig, all for the sake of large companies profits?

I'm not taking risks. It's certainly up to you whether you wish to. Either way i wish everyone the best.

I like the organic farmers I meet at the farmers market and more power to them. When considering agriculture overall, the organic method doesn't really translate well using modern agricultural methods. GMO crops use less pesticides and require less tillage. Organic pesticides are not necessarily better for you. Organic farmers often have to use more pesticides for the same amount of control. Organic pesticides are sometimes more toxic than the chemical alternatives.
Many crops that are organic are vastly more detrimental to the environment and our health. Organic cane sugar is burned before harvesting sending megatons of soot and CO2 into the air. GMO sugar beets are better for the environment but are becoming scarce because farmers can't sell their crop because of unreasonable fear of GMO crops.
The organic industry makes more money when they can vilify GM crops and shame young parents to spend more to feed their children. Organic eggs are $5 a dozen while you can get non organic eggs for 99 cents. Organic milk is more than twice the cost of regular milk.
Dairy feed is expensive and the organic milk producers are buying all the organic feed and causing the price of organic eggs, meat and milk to soar. The price of organic chicken feed is rising fast too. Where live in Sacramento, there is more organic feed than non organic at the feed store because that is what people want. I buy the regular feed and my birds are very healthy. The organic feed for chickens is over twice the cost of regular. I think the regular feed is more local and fresher too.
Overall GM crops are better for a sustainable environment and no less healthy for our chickens and children. Farmers prefer to grow GM crops because they save them labor and money using less pesticides and tillage. The seed producers are not twisting anyones arm to buy GM crops contrary to "Big Organic" propaganda. No GMO ever made any animal or person sick.
Food labels are for warnings, but why warn people when something is perfectly safe? Labels are just another method to vilify GM crops by the organic industry.
Save money and go GMO.

What brand of feed does Purina make that does NOT contain GMOS' Genetically modified organism ingredients? If only one brand is available, then why not make ALL of your feed safe? Pease don't answer with just a thinly veiled advertisement.

I don't believe anyone is looking intentionally to add unsafe and untested GMO's to their chickens feed. It's bad enough that it's in most of the food now found on grocery store shelves (just look somewhere near the ingredients, as a recent law now mandates that companies must state it on their products), even though many of them have been adding it unbeknownst to the public, for decades!

Aside from the company making larger profits using GMO's, what does Purina claim is it's benefits?
Hi CountryBirdGirl, great question.

Here at Purina, we offer a feed for every flock and flock owner. Earlier this year, we launched our organic line of layer feed that comes as Starter-Grower, Layer Crumbles or Pellets, and Scratch grains. It is USDA certified organic, which means it is made with non-GMO ingredients that have been grown without the use of pesticides and fertilizers. Find more info here.

I like and use Purina Layena
00ae.png
Plus Omega-3 feed for my flock and having great results!! Got any kick backs for a backyard chicken farmer in NE Kansas? ;)

GMO's are not safe.

Wow, what a reply. I'm not surprised though. I knew someone would come on here touting GMO's as safe. Really?
What proof do you have? What large corporation with their very own funded scientists tout this as safe?
Why take any risk? Especially when the testing is done by the very own companies and groups who receive funding from the companies using GMO's in the first place. Again I will ask, why take a risk???

Ask yourself what were the statistics of Cancer, Diabetes, etc. several decades ago?
Now how much higher are those disease statistics now, after years of companies covertly adding genetically modified ingredients to their products without the consumers even having the knowledge of what they were feeding to their animals or consuming themselves? I'd bet most people on here know of someone personally who has been affected by one of those diseases. Coincidentally the numbers went up ast he GMO's were being added.

Look around a grocery store and you'll notice mostly pretty colorful packaged items. Does that seem like "real" food to you? If so, you're kidding yourself.
I've spoken with many companies directly, who offer to tell their consumers it's artificial food. They admit to it.

You had stated "The seed producers are not twisting anyones arm to buy GM crops contrary to "Big Organic" propaganda." I find that interesting as well, as it has become very hard for farmers to find non GMO crops. The poor farmers even get sued, when the contaminated seeds blow over to their more healthy fields. Haven't the American farmers (the very backbone of this country) been through enough hardships, without big companies squeezing them out even more?

Your statement " Food labels are for warnings, but why warn people when something is perfectly safe?"
I believe food labels were invented to allow the consumer to make an educated decision. Maybe you don't believe that Americans have the right to know what they are feeding their animals, children, themselves, but I believe that they should know what is in the ingredients, then let them decide, not a huge company who does not have their best interests at heart.

Companies only started adding it to their labels, because they're being forced to do so. Plain and simple.

GMO's are NOT safe.
Anyone reading this, who has someone they care about or may even possibly already have someone ill in their family,
I encourage you to learn about this yourself and make your own decisions. There are too many shills from these companies, touting that it's safe, pretending to care about the farmers, when all they care about is their high profits.

Ok I will Bite on your GMO soap box.
big_smile.png

You type a good type, here in two different GMO threads. But I do not see you quoting a source of factual information, only your personal opinion. So cite some factual sources to back up your hype.

Back
Top Bottom