Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
My dad was fine for many years as well after being exposed to asbestos at his work place but it eventually it made him a very ill man and killed him.
DDT and many other harmful chemicals were at one time were considered safe only later to be found harmful.

Trust me when I say that there are faar worse chemicals out there then Round-Up.

As for the GMO's, if one day turns up that its killing people, a whole lotta people are gunna die.

Quote:
No, you were quoting the scare summary written by the anti-GMO and anti-Monsanto journal you linked to - not the article itself. Try reading the article itself and see how biased and slanted the journal article is.

You are free to think anything you like about GMOs. Me, I have an aunt and uncle who are on GMO-produced insulin and I think GMOs are nothing more than another tool to produce products we need. I think the anti-GMO sediment largely comes from the same place as the anti-tractor, anti-vaccine, and anti-car sediment - a legacy of resistance to change and to innovation, in favor of what is unknown and guessed rather than what is known.

I don't worship science, but I don't idolize the past or ignorance, either. You think GMOs are "BAD" with capital letters and bolding. I think people who are that afraid of innovation and progress are ignoring the need of people across the planet to eat and live better lives.

I'm not "afraid" of progress and technology but not all of it is good.
Mankind has some how managed to survive all these years with non GMO foods
and I suppose they could continue without them.
As for mankind and its advancements. as long as men war against each other
and atrocities continue, I dont think we've truly advanced all that much.
Yes it is merely my opinion which I'm entitled to that GMO food for human consumption M A Y very well
be bad. To assume they are safe would be naive because the long term POSSIBLEY BAD side effects are not yet known.

From what I have read rats fed GMO corn and potatoes the third generation was sterile. Now there can be other factors such as is that the only thing they were fed? the report didnt show so that could be nutrition factor too but I agree why take the chance. As for animal feed sadly all with the exception of organic which I can not find around here probably does have GMOs in them. You know in my opinion if they want to grow GMO corn just use that corn for fuel not for feeding people or animals. There has not been enough studies toshow if it will hurt us or the animals.

Last edited:
Quote:
My birds get a mixture of everything, some if GMO, some is not. If your ducks are 7-8 years old, why are you suddenly warriod about the feed? Its not like its changed a whole bunch in the last few years.

Quote:
There had never been over 6 billion people on the earth, most of whom have no clue how to farm. The few people that do produce food need an efficent way to do it.

Quote:
My birds get a mixture of everything, some if GMO, some is not. If your ducks are 7-8 years old, why are you suddenly warriod about the feed? Its not like its changed a whole bunch in the last few years.

When i started with ducks 8years ago i didn't know about GMOs and have just recently been hearing and reading more about them. I am just thankful that we still have a choice as what we eat or feed our livestock. I do wish food produced with GMO seed would have to be labeled so we could know when shopping which were produced with GMOs or not. Seems like most products for human consumption is made from GMOs now unless Organic so I guess it's up to each of us to decide if we want to take the chance.

Quote:
We survived for quite a long time without vaccines for polio, smallpox, and influenza. I suppose - except for those people who happened to have died from those diseases - that we could have continued without them.

Quote:
But we have NOT "assumed" they are safe - people have continuously looked for evidence that they are BAD and have found extremely little. IMO, to expect any sort of advancement to be without any negative effects is naive. Vaccines - including the life saving ones I listed above - do have some bad effects for a very limited number of people. Same way as canned food can have botulism. That is no reason to shut ones self - or to advocate other people shut themselves - away from either vaccines or canned food.

Choosing to not eat GMOs is one thing. Demonizing them and promoting the idea that they are BAD is another.

Quote:
And you have the time, space, and labor to do this. Not everyone does. This doesn't make the food you grow significantly better than the food other people buy in the store. And it doesn't mean those other parents are poisoning their kids by feeding them gmo foods.

I don't have a problem with people deciding that they want to plant their own cotton, pick it, spin it, weave it, dye it, and cut their own clothes from the cloth. Just don't make it more difficult for me to buy (or afford) the mass-produced jeans and sweaters I wear.

Sadly, we won't have a really good grasp on what all the GMO food, antibiotics and growth hormones in meat and milk, or other questionable practices to make animals and plants grow bigger faster will do for several more years. Even then, if the resultant health issues are as bad as most of us suspect, the large corporations will have found a way to isolate themselves from financial liability.
sad.png
Those guys are rich for a reason......

"Several more years"??? The technologies you list - rBSH for dairy cows, growth hormones for beef cattle, GMO insulin for diabetics - we've been using those, and eating those, for decades! No kids running around with fingers growing out of the tops of their heads, no purple-eyed calves or three-legged chickens (not that any one in the USA actually uses hormones in chickens) to be found.

We do have health issues in the USA, from eating too much and not exercising enough. But that's the same problem a few rich people had in the middle ages, when most people starved and there was not an hormone or chemical fertilizer to be found. We're just well enough off as a society that even our poor people have more than enough to eat, fancy clothes to wear, and music to listen to as they dine, played by invisible musicians.

Of course, there are still people who think the government is controlling our minds through am radio waves...​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom