Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, but makes no sense to me.
It doesn't make any sense to me either. All that passing it would have done would have been required labeling. So many things are required to be labeled, why not this? If you want to eat GMOs go for it, but at least be informed and let everyone make their own choice.

Last edited:
It doesn't make any sense to me either. All that passing it would have done would have been required labeling. So many things are required to be labeled, why not this? If you want to eat GMOs go for it, but at least be informed and let everyone make their own choice.

If they can put a warning label on a product saying it contains nuts or whatever why the opposition to label GMO are in a producrt?
Probably because Monsanto is a powerful adversary and somehow managed to convince people to vote against Prop 37.

If they can put a warning label on a product saying it contains nuts or whatever why the opposition to label GMO are in a producrt?

Probably because Monsanto is a powerful adversary and somehow managed to convince people to vote against Prop 37.

X2
If its labeled most people won't buy it. Monsanto doesn't want it labeled and will do what he can to stop it.

They dumped a lot of money into the campaign against prop 37. The voter's guide was worded in such a way as to make people think it would cost a lot of money to put labeling into practice.

You'd be surprised how much grain is Genetically Modified. Most of our (USA) Corn and Soy...percentages are very high. many other foods also. I've seen studies showing that fertility rates drop substantially in some livestocks which consume GMOs. (This doesn't mean any chicken who eats purina would become sterile...but suggests a higher percentage might become so - though a study for GMO effects on specifically chickens I have not seen. Anyway all by way to my my point:

I choose to dismiss all commercial feeds.
I create my own. The resultant feed is better quality, fresher, and, excepting one element (organic corn), not more expensive.
I buy human grade whole grains separately, Rice, organic Wheats, Barley and Corn - Organic Corn only to avoid GMO - and Rolled Oats all in 25# bags. I then offer these both separately (with supplements) and mixed. I spend less or equal on grains per pound than I had on prepared feed from farmstore, and it is not stale (whole grains keep far better than when ground or broken). Examples: c$12 for 25 # whole brown rice...c$18 for 25# most ORGANIC wheats. $15/25# bob red mill oats. ($22 when we choose organic) ... it's the organic corn which is expensive. ...but I adamantly refuse conventional corn! I suggest others consider this idea...higher quality for not more and avoid the GMOs. We provide additional elements to diet of course. Especially fresh greens.
SOooo since I'm on a roll I'll just say what all I do for feed (for those who would care to read on):
I coarsely grind in small batches Wheats (mostly hard white and some soft white -less gluten- and hard red winter), Barley, and Organic corn; mix these with a few sunflower seeds, a few flax seeds, and sometimes a dash of sesame; add powdered oyster and granular kelp and true salt (type rich in minerals). Also I serve raw brown rice whole (unground) separately. Also I cook white rice (occasionally barley) with oyster and salt and serve this once or twice a week - Why? because the powdered oystershell is fully absorbed when cooked in, ensuring they get much calcium (whereas in dry mix much oysterpowder sifts to bottom becomes wasted) (I also offer stand alone crushed oyster shell bits-we live on a bay which is full of commercial oyster beds)
Additionally, we scavenge greens - culls from local co-op produce dept. and such - mostly organic. (We are blessed to have much organic produce in our progressive community) and we cut/mow a wide variety of wild greens from our creek side and field (and allow access to lawns, creekside and such as well as let them run the veggie garden patches after our harvest for turnip tops etc etc. LOTS of fresh greens. It surprises me how few greens so many folks feed their fowl. They all gooble them up greedily...(especially important for ducks am told). Fresh berries too in season from our huckleberry and blueberry bushes and including FUSCHIA berries!. ...and when I have no other source rich in antioxidants I offer them a small bowl of tomato paste. They get small amounts of fresh fruit and or rinds from our table. They get a scant few scraps from table and treats of suet, meat tidbits, and milk products, even egg occasionally, in small deliberate measure. They have access to free range so bugs, slugs, snails comprise an important protein element of diet. ...but since they prefer the rice ultimately they choose to eat less corn. I offered Corn Rice and Wheats after reading that generally speaking Brits feed Wheat, USA feed corn and Asians feed rice to their chickens. Many recommend Oats in diet of ducks, so since I have ducks there are oats and the chickens choose to eat those too. (And so do I BTW. ... reputedly Bobs Redmill embarrassed the Scottish in their oats tasting competition by winning first place, heh heh.) I'll mention this, only since one chicken owner I know just did not understand even this: grits (coarse sand small gravels) must be / are always available.
Another note on the ducks vs chickens: Ducks get far more snails and slugs and worms than do chickens, and chickens get the dairy products (cheese yoghurt, milks of cow/goat), but not the ducks. Also my ducks care little for berries and fickle with fruits.
I also switched from conventional feeders to candy/apothecary jars (the type which ope to the side at angle) to feed my fowl: Why? virtually no spillage with chickens. They stick their heads in and might dash grains about but no wasteful spills result (other than some from ducks as spilled from their bills after they withdraw). I set them higher than rats can reach and in front of perches (for chickens), under rain roof.
Plenty of eggs. overwhelming production has amazed me.
~Ruarc

You'd be surprised how much grain is Genetically Modified. Most of our (USA) Corn and Soy...percentages are very high. many other foods also. I've seen studies showing that fertility rates drop substantially in some livestocks which consume GMOs. (This doesn't mean any chicken who eats purina would become sterile...but suggests a higher percentage might become so - though a study for GMO effects on specifically chickens I have not seen. Anyway all by way to my my point:

I choose to dismiss all commercial feeds.
I create my own. The resultant feed is better quality, fresher, and, excepting one element (organic corn), not more expensive.
I buy human grade whole grains separately, Rice, organic Wheats, Barley and Corn - Organic Corn only to avoid GMO - and Rolled Oats all in 25# bags. I then offer these both separately (with supplements) and mixed. I spend less or equal on grains per pound than I had on prepared feed from farmstore, and it is not stale (whole grains keep far better than when ground or broken). Examples: c$12 for 25 # whole brown rice...c$18 for 25# most ORGANIC wheats. $15/25# bob red mill oats. ($22 when we choose organic) ... it's the organic corn which is expensive. ...but I adamantly refuse conventional corn! I suggest others consider this idea...higher quality for not more and avoid the GMOs. We provide additional elements to diet of course. Especially fresh greens.
SOooo since I'm on a roll I'll just say what all I do for feed (for those who would care to read on):
I coarsely grind in small batches Wheats (mostly hard white and some soft white -less gluten- and hard red winter), Barley, and Organic corn; mix these with a few sunflower seeds, a few flax seeds, and sometimes a dash of sesame; add powdered oyster and granular kelp and true salt (type rich in minerals). Also I serve raw brown rice whole (unground) separately. Also I cook white rice (occasionally barley) with oyster and salt and serve this once or twice a week - Why? because the powdered oystershell is fully absorbed when cooked in, ensuring they get much calcium (whereas in dry mix much oysterpowder sifts to bottom becomes wasted) (I also offer stand alone crushed oyster shell bits-we live on a bay which is full of commercial oyster beds)
Additionally, we scavenge greens - culls from local co-op produce dept. and such - mostly organic. (We are blessed to have much organic produce in our progressive community) and we cut/mow a wide variety of wild greens from our creek side and field (and allow access to lawns, creekside and such as well as let them run the veggie garden patches after our harvest for turnip tops etc etc. LOTS of fresh greens. It surprises me how few greens so many folks feed their fowl. They all gooble them up greedily...(especially important for ducks am told). Fresh berries too in season from our huckleberry and blueberry bushes and including FUSCHIA berries!. ...and when I have no other source rich in antioxidants I offer them a small bowl of tomato paste. They get small amounts of fresh fruit and or rinds from our table. They get a scant few scraps from table and treats of suet, meat tidbits, and milk products, even egg occasionally, in small deliberate measure. They have access to free range so bugs, slugs, snails comprise an important protein element of diet. ...but since they prefer the rice ultimately they choose to eat less corn. I offered Corn Rice and Wheats after reading that generally speaking Brits feed Wheat, USA feed corn and Asians feed rice to their chickens. Many recommend Oats in diet of ducks, so since I have ducks there are oats and the chickens choose to eat those too. (And so do I BTW. ... reputedly Bobs Redmill embarrassed the Scottish in their oats tasting competition by winning first place, heh heh.) I'll mention this, only since one chicken owner I know just did not understand even this: grits (coarse sand small gravels) must be / are always available.
Another note on the ducks vs chickens: Ducks get far more snails and slugs and worms than do chickens, and chickens get the dairy products (cheese yoghurt, milks of cow/goat), but not the ducks. Also my ducks care little for berries and fickle with fruits.
I also switched from conventional feeders to candy/apothecary jars (the type which ope to the side at angle) to feed my fowl: Why? virtually no spillage with chickens. They stick their heads in and might dash grains about but no wasteful spills result (other than some from ducks as spilled from their bills after they withdraw). I set them higher than rats can reach and in front of perches (for chickens), under rain roof.
Plenty of eggs. overwhelming production has amazed me.
~Ruarc
Are you able to get all your grains locally or do you have to order on line?

Good info...thanks for taking the time to share it!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I did see a farm show about farmers being bullied by Monsanto. Monsanto has genetically messed with soy. Monsanto is the only place farmers can get soy bean seeds and they are not allowed to use the wasted seeds or they will have a problem. Also, In order to grow soybeans a chemical is used to stop weeds which do away with farm hands in the field. It was a very disturbing program. Made me think about things that's for sure. I do believe GMO's have become a problem in all foods and not just animal feed. Companyies do use GMO's in everything and it's not a good thing.

There is truth to Monsanto and there is evidence of things ending up in water that are turning fish into hermaphrodites. It is unfortunate but true, and this is coming from a farmer and animal husbandry person who studies human/animal medicine and researches these things. It is unfortunate. It is coming to the point on our planet that if you were to take it all in, you might as well just not breathe, even the air is tainted. All you can do is try your best to care for yourself, your family and your animals as best you can, and try to grow some of your own food. We can only really do our own personal part. Taking all the rest of it in will only make you crazy.

GMOs are implicated in several problems with health, both personal and environmental, ... and with sociopolitical issues! such as good Farmers being harshly harassed and sued out of business or subjugated in several countries incl USA and Canada - google for detail - (while considering motives of your sources)...even start from Monsanto's POV at their own website. More I learn the more I consider Monsanto a great Devil. Wikipedia has some middle of road articles; try starting with famous and representative case of Monsanto vs Schmeiser,
Research published on GMOs is apparently much suppressed in USA. Note however most of Europe essentially or utterly bans most (not quite all) of them, (infuriating US interests). In Europe all food products must be labeled if have any GMO over 1% and I understand currently only a couple GMOs (some GM corn gene, and a potato) have any allowance in most of Europe, esp Spain's corn crops). Japan, INdia, and Brazil seriously regulate GMOs. But here in USA we have no labeling, and huge percentage of common foods are GM (Genetically Modified). Most of us have heard of Canola/Rape, Corn , and Soy being GM, but also Sugar beets, Potatoes, Zucchini, Alfalfa, and others are now GMOs, many in high percentages comprising foods off U.S. shelves. Some wheat now. I dont retain 'statistical numbers well, but I yet recall c. 90 percent of cooking oils, (found in so many products) and so on has come from GMOs. Feeds for livestock are generally heavy with GMOs so the GM DNA passes on into our meats and eggs, oh and also cheeses (through non-bovine GM rennet) I've read the percentages but don't retain these figures in my head other than they were generally high and usually way over half market share of most above mentioned foods. A good note, I suppose, is that reputedly refined sugars and purified oils from GM crops do not pass on the genetically altered DNA when ingested.
Studies on health are not yet fully understood nor seems there yet a wide consensus , but some health issues are of concern including livestock reproduction disorders and human allergies seem to well enough documented. And that a protein in many GMOs including a Monsanto corn actually destroys human cells, even in low concentrations. Potential for human DNA alteration is evidently a risk, even from say eating meats of animals who ate GM feed...but I'm unclear on details of effects, not sure researchers are yet either - it's a new situation yet. Of course Monsanto argues that GM DNAs are safe because DNA is "naturally occurring". I guess that argument is meant for those who have NO understanding of what is DNA. Why do they fight SO so hard, (and reportedly they do spend huge sums fighting offensively and defensively in courts and with governments and in political campaigns), to HIDE information and deny labeling and sue folks choosing to grow non GMO foods etc etc? "Me thinks they do protest too much."

It's pretty disturbing, and I say we ought be concerned, and wary of GMOs. Or turn a blind eye if you prefer, but not I. I say shed light on the truth, look at it straight on, and then act appropriately in good conscience.

RugenrGooser is right in that all this can feel overwhelming and but that we can also start at home growing our own, raising our own foods some, and so forth. I say also we can also reconsider some and make new improved choices about what we choose off the store shelves. Don't stop at being merely dismayed - "crazy" as RG said; information is powerful; the ability to make informed choices far outweighs uniformed non-choices. If it means readjusting, well... ...I know, we're all a little lazy about that. But.... It is well a path to improving one's health, one's family and environment, even one's spiritual path. Certainly "Doing the Right Thing" -whatever one deems that to be- is easier when one is informed. And we do have the power to do that more easily or fully near home, as RG suggests. Be grateful for being conscious and aware, and yet relatively free to choose...(try imagining living in Bangladesh, China, Afghanistan, Bahrain, etc. OY!), and we might go beyond being merely dismayed or driven crazy.

Okay so I ranted a little. More I learn about GMOs the more want to avoid them, not just for health, but not supporting the efforts of Monsanto et al. And I suggest you might be well to avoid them, too.

Answering miss Lydia: I procure my grains locally. Our area is a priced higher than national average, but I still find it affordable - pretty much an even wash in cost. esp when I compared to organic and non organic feeds which obtained at local feed store (which I had used initially). Quality poor in my esteem yet still pricey those feeds, yet pretty much the same costs as superior human grade for an half way careful shopper. Organic grains come from local co-op (which gives 10% discount on full bulk bags), for organic grains (wheats, corn) and conventional rice, oats, barley from local wholesaler catering to restaurants and such (but general public welcome - "Cash 'n Carry" in our case). (Not a bad place to save some on my, or your, own food bills too!). Unfortunately they carry only a few organics, though do carry a many of BobsRedMill products, which are pretty decent quality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom