Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you "all natural" or "organic" flakes out there are a bunch of quacks!!! I think monsanto should be given the Nobel prize for all their work with GMO's. It is absolutely amazing to me that given today's population food is as cheap and readily available as it is today. If we went back to using farming techniques we had in the 50's, what is now known as "organic", half of us would starve. I don't know about the rest of you but I would rather take my chances with GMO's than starvation. It truly angers me to think I live in a country with so many yuppies!!!

All you "all natural" or "organic" flakes out there are a bunch of quacks!!! I think monsanto should be given the Nobel prize for all their work with GMO's. It is absolutely amazing to me that given today's population food is as cheap and readily available as it is today. If we went back to using farming techniques we had in the 50's, what is now known as "organic", half of us would starve. I don't know about the rest of you but I would rather take my chances with GMO's than starvation. It truly angers me to think I live in a country with so many yuppies!!!
Ya know... whenever people give that argument, all I want to say is a big fat DUH!!!

It's pretty much common sense that using techniques used 60 years ago wouldn't cut it for today's population. Plowing, fertilizing, nutrition, etc. has improved so much from back then. But what the people that side with organic are against is genetic engineering. Notice I said "engineering" not modification, because in my opinion that would include selective breeding of livestock and crops. Both conventional and organic agriculture have their positives and negatives. And yes, organic dairy farming is a bit ridiculous considering the sanitation and testing done to produce milk that's disease and drug free in non-organic dairy herds. There are many misunderstandings on both methods. Neither one is perfect nor the answer.

Sure, we are producing more food than 60 years ago, and we have more mouths to feed than ever before. But what good is it if they end up getting cancer? or reproductive problems? or intestinal diseases? Not just us, but what about our livestock too? or other animals on this earth?

On the other hand, those less fortunate in Third-World countries are receiving nourishment. Kids aren't starving, there is less poverty.

Personally? I believe in science, research, and study. Knowledge is Power, and great power comes with great responsibility. Unfortunately, being honest is on the bottom of the corporate business list. Everyone should do their best to educate themselves. If you are Pro-Organic educate yourself on the Conventional systems, the cold hard facts, nothing biased or bashing. If you are Pro-Conventional, do the same with Organic. Read the actual studies. It may take a while to understand the scientific jargon used, but it's well worth the effort. Google Scholar (www.scholar.google.com) is a fantastic resource for doing so. Subscribe to Journals. DO SOMETHING other than listen to hearsay. Get the facts from the source, and then decide.

As I said before, neither method is perfect, nor the answer to the world's problem in producing safe healthy food. Maybe instead of producing MORE we need to focus on wasting LESS? Division sure isn't the answer, so why not work together? We could learn a thing or two don't you think?

Excuse me?! I'm not a Yuppie or a Flake. Interesting that for some people differing opinions automatically makes one a radical. If freedom of speech and choice makes me a radical than so be it.
Last time I looked I live in America where such things are still allowed...for now anyway.

Edited to add...
Hey dairyfarmer... just got in from doing PM chores like I've been doing for the last 35 yrs. on our modest 5 acre hobby farm where I've cared for assorted trendy yuppie critters like....horses, donkeys, dairy goats, chickens, geese , ducks and rabbits....gotta impress people a know...and I was thinking about you and other people that have run others down on this thread for differing opinions.
You know, nobody is stopping you from backing up your opinion with non-Monsanto funded research studies on the safety of GMO....nobody's forcing you to read the information of opposing viewpoints people have posted here...and what are all your farmer buddies going to do when all the bee's have been killed off by "modern technology"? Modern technology is not always the answer.

Last edited:
If not interested in the subject then why even stop by to read it? I read interesting information and that is all it is information to read. Weather you agree or not do not put down other people.
Yes, food is readily available and look how heavy America is becoming to eat their hearts content with all the food. We have people and children starving in our own country with so much food available. How much of a shame is that!!

Have you ever wondered how GMO corn is made. Roundup Ready Corn is genetically engineered corn that has had its DNA modified to withstand the herbicide glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto's herbicide Roundup). It is also known as "glyphosate tolerant corn." RR corn was first deregulated in the U.S. in 1997 and first commercialized in the U.S. in 1998. One variety of RR Corn, NK603, was linked to tumors in rats in the Seralini study last year. Read the full details in the study

"Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant
genetically modified maize"

http://gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GES-final-study-19.9.121.pdf

Have you ever wondered how GMO corn is made. Roundup Ready Corn is genetically engineered corn that has had its DNA modified to withstand the herbicide glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto's herbicide Roundup). It is also known as "glyphosate tolerant corn." RR corn was first deregulated in the U.S. in 1997 and first commercialized in the U.S. in 1998. One variety of RR Corn, NK603, was linked to tumors in rats in the Seralini study last year. Read the full details in the study

"Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant
genetically modified maize"

http://gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GES-final-study-19.9.121.pdf

thumbsup.gif
Precisely what I was getting at. I'll save this to read in detail for later.

All I've done is posted links to information.
I'm certainly not an expert on the topic nor am I saying the all studies aren't flawed....
and oh yah, that would include Monsantos studies as well. You read, you decide. OR don't read it at all.
Its hard to know who or what to believe but the choice is individual as to whether you consume and/or feed your livestock GMO products
or not and those who chose not to need to be called flakes or yuppies or raked over the coals because they don't agree with the pro GMO camp.

Year of the Rooster...one would have to really do some major studying of all the information/studie as to know the real truth is and despite ones efforts the truth could
prove to be illusive.
I go on my gut feelings. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong but I feel in time GMO will be prove to be harmful.
In the mean time (as I've stated before) I'd rather not be Monsanto's Guinea Pig thank you, but that's an arduous task since there are SO many GMO soy, corn and beet sugar
products and bi-products in SO much of the food people consume everyday.

YOTR
I don't know if you've read this whole thread or not but did you see this this posted by sanctus7?

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine reported that several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food, including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.
  • Thousands of sheep, buffalo, and goats in India died after grazing on Bt cotton plants
  • Mice eating GM corn for the long term had fewer, and smaller, babies
  • More than half the babies of mother rats fed GM soy died within three weeks, and were smaller
  • Testicle cells of mice and rats on a GM soy change significantly
  • By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies
  • Rodents fed GM corn and soy showed immune system responses and signs of toxicity
  • Cooked GM soy contains as much as 7-times the amount of a known soy allergen
  • Soy allergies skyrocketed by 50% in the UK, soon after GM soy was introduced *Check out the rates in the US after GM soy was introduced.*
  • The stomach lining of rats fed GM potatoes showed excessive cell growth, a condition that may lead to cancer.
  • Studies showed organ lesions, altered liver and pancreas cells, changed enzyme levels, etc.

End Quote.

He says it best....Do your own research and read the studies.

Just a side note... fermented soy is safe for humans to consume.
Its just the un-fermented soy that is bad.

Last edited:
Cottage Rose,

I'm sorry I if I came off in an offensive way. I'm only here for the same reason you are, and that is to find the truth about the matter.

No, I have not read the entire thread, but what sanctus7 says is interesting. My only question would be where he/she got the information from so that I may research it for myself. I realize that all this studying is daunting, I can only read so much in one day otherwise my head will hurt. But researching, reading studies, questioning information, it's all part of the investigative process, and all we can do is take it one day at a time. However, I do applaud you in being able to sustain yourself in the midst of the controversy.

I look forward in continuing this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom