Gmo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the rules:
Quote: Please keep the discussion to an exchange of information and viewpoints. Keep personal attacks, snide remarks, etc. out of it.

and very very wealthy.

#1 It has not been proven that growing Round Up Ready crops is a better way.
Technology is not always so wonderful. Mankind has been known to screw up.
#2 The long term effects of consuming GMO products is not known.
#3 Clearly on going research studies do not support your opinion on GMO's safety.
#4 I don't want to be Monsanto's Guinea Pig and have every right not to be.
#5 Speaking of rabid...ever hear of what Monstonas agenda, strong arm tactics and government ties?
Last but not least...we'll just have to agree to disagree won't we?

All you "all natural" or "organic" flakes out there are a bunch of quacks!!! I think monsanto should be given the Nobel prize for all their work with GMO's. It is absolutely amazing to me that given today's population food is as cheap and readily available as it is today. If we went back to using farming techniques we had in the 50's, what is now known as "organic", half of us would starve. I don't know about the rest of you but I would rather take my chances with GMO's than starvation. It truly angers me to think I live in a country with so many yuppies!!!

Have you ever wondered how GMO corn is made. Roundup Ready Corn is genetically engineered corn that has had its DNA modified to withstand the herbicide glyphosate (the active ingredient in Monsanto's herbicide Roundup). It is also known as "glyphosate tolerant corn." RR corn was first deregulated in the U.S. in 1997 and first commercialized in the U.S. in 1998. One variety of RR Corn, NK603, was linked to tumors in rats in the Seralini study last year. Read the full details in the study

"Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant
genetically modified maize"

http://gmoseralini.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GES-final-study-19.9.121.pdf

Here's the link again

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-september-12-2013/monsanto---seed-patent-laws

You won't regret the 4 1/2 minutes of your time.

Interesting, thought I would share.

The growing dangers of GMO food

What would you think if I were to invite you over to my home and offered you a scoop of tuna salad for lunch, but instead of mayonnaise I used glue?

Or how about if chicken breasts were on the menu, but I sautéed them in motor oil instead of butter?

Or what if I baked a fresh loaf of cinnamon bread for you, but instead of eggs I used fabric softener?

Of course these are silly questions, but the point is, you probably wouldn't need an expensive study to prove to you that eating my creepy food suggestions wouldn't be a good idea.

But I have news for you.

Chances are excellent that you already ARE eating foods that are about as gross as my suggestions above...

And you don't even know it.

Here's the scoop on what I call "monster foods"--otherwise known as GMOs.

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)

Since the dawn of time, Nature has created different variations of plants through a type of cross-breeding, typically with insects or the wind moving pollen from one plant to another.

What results sometimes is a "new and improved" species of plant that may be more sturdy or nutritious than its "ancestors."

So far so good.

But the problems started to rise when scientists decided they wanted to play Mother Nature.

Because they're not sitting in a lab sprinkling pollen from plant to plant, delightedly waiting for the new offspring--they're instead altering the genetic code (DNA) of plants by cutting off bits of a living organism's DNA and splicing them into a completely unrelated species.

This is what's called a GMO--or genetically modified organism.

So what's the big deal?

The real danger with GMOs is that scientists are NOT splicing plant DNA to plant DNA.

Instead they're splicing things like chicken genes into potato DNA or fish genes into strawberry DNA.

So for all of you who are allergic to seafood, think about that next time you eat strawberries.

In addition, rodent genes have been inserted into tobacco.

If you're a smoker, I hope you're fond of Mickey Mouse because he may be lining your lungs.

But it doesn't stop there.

Bacteria and viruses are being spliced into cucumbers and tomatoes.

Talk about a whole new meaning of food poisoning!

And chemical pesticides, herbicides and fungicides are being inserted into various plants.

Nothing like a little weed killer with your salad.

Now, the idea behind all this DNA play is to create "super crops" that resist pests, droughts, disease and other crop-destroying forces.

But what has resulted is a series of "aliens"--entirely new and foreign life forms that we know NOTHING about.

That includes knowing basically ZERO about their safety--because very few studies have been done thus far that prove they are not harmful.

And they're not being monitored either.

Neither the FDA nor the US Department of Agriculture requires the biotech companies to prove that GMO foods are safe for human consumption before new modified crops are put on the market.

As a matter of fact, studies are starting to suggest otherwise...

GMO = Growing massively obese?

As part of a project examining the health effects of GMOs, researchers from Norway studied 2 groups of rats. One group was fed food containing GMO corn and the other was given food made with conventional corn.

Over the course of 90 days, the rats eating the GMO corn diet grew fatter and consumed more food than the rats on the non-GMO diet.

The researchers also observed that rats got fatter when they ate fish that had been raised on GMO corn--so there's a chain reaction effect.

They also tried the experiment on salmon and saw similar results.

Fish eating GMO corn grew faster and ate more than fish eating non-GMO corn.

And the salmon eating the GMO corn were also less able to digest proteins, and experienced immune system changes that didn't occur in the non-GMO-fed fish.

If that doesn't raise your eyebrows, I don't know what will.

But I'll just crap it out, right?

A common argument used by biotech companies when contending the safety of GMO foods has been that any "funky new genes" created with GMO foods are destroyed in the intestines when you eat them.

And they'll glide on through when you have your next BM, right?

Uh, not quite.

Because in the studies above, the researchers also noted ALL the genes from the GMO food that the rats and salmon ate were later detected in their BLOOD!

My tuna salad with glue is starting to sound better and better, isn't it?!

Don't be a gerbil

The bottom line here, my friend, is don't be a gerbil.

If you eat GMO foods, you are a human guinea pig, period.

And even if the health effects of GMOs start to make themselves more and more known, food and biotech companies are VERY rich...and very good at creating evidence to defend themselves.

The best way to ensure your safety and that of your loved ones is to avoid them at ALL cost.

This may seem daunting, but it can easily be done.

Here's how--it just involves 4 steps:

1) Become a careful label reader

There's no need to panic and avoid buying produce and missing out on all its awesome health benefits.

All you need to do is when shopping for produce look closely at the little stickers on the items. Here's what they mean:

4-digit code: It’s your regular old traditionally grown (non-GMO) produce
5-digit code: Look at the first number.
If it starts with a 9, it's organic and safe.
If it starts with an 8, it's a GMO!2)
2) Avoid processed foods

GMO crops are also slipped into in packaged/processed foods, and the labels don't need to spell that right out for you.

For example, many types of snack chips are made with GMO corn.

So the more you avoid buying processed or packaged stuff to begin with, the better off you are.

But if you wish to indulge in a snack or convenience food, make sure it's organic (see number 3 below).

3) Buy organic whenever you can

Organic foods by their very definition do not contain GMO ingredients.

So if you want corn chips or other packaged foods, at least opt for organic brands.

And try to buy as much organic meat and produce as possible.

If you're on a tight budget and can't afford to go 100% organic, here are the items which have the largest amounts of pesticide residue and are most important to buy organic:

Celery
Peaches
Strawberries
Apples
Blueberries
Nectarines
Bell Peppers
Spinach
Cherries
Kale/Collard
Greens
Potatoes
Grapes (Imported)
4) Eat real foods & have good digestion

When you eat real foods and have efficient digestion, you are significantly minimizing your chances of taking in GMOs, and you also help nourish your body the way Nature--NOT the biotech industry--intended.

Not only will this help regular BMs become YOUR morning glory, but you'll be less likely to overeat and gain weight (unlike the unlucky rats and fish in the studies above).

And of course, good digestion means less acid reflux, gas and bloating too!

Remember YOU alone are responsible for your health--not biotech companies and food companies.

Don't offer yourself up as a guinea pig, jeopardizing your health while you help to grow their bottom lines.

When it comes to real health, Natural is ALWAYS best, my friend.

To your health,

Sherry Brescia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom