GNATS/Vinegar

I think the suggestion was to put the vinegar in an open bowl which will attract the gnats and then they drown in it.
smile.png

I'll try that right now. Got some ACV in the pantry and just had to bring a GNAT attacked bird inside. I'm been spraying bug spray all over the wood on the coop as it said it is safe to do that but not on the birds themselves. I thought it was helping until I found a bird with Gnats all over the comb and bloody:( comb.

I don't know the answer to this from experience, but if I was guessing, I would say that if the gnats are attracted to the vinegar enough to drown in it, they would be attracted to the chickens as well. Does it look like your chickens are still covered in the nasty pests? If so, ya might wanna offer them a shower from your sprinkler to rinse as much of the vinegar off of them as possible.
My chickens are suffering from the same problem. We also have a friend who lost three of his best laying hens because the gnats stressed them out so bad. I am willing to try the black flag and the vinegar both. Anything to protect our babies!!!><>

Hey, I like the 7 dust in the sand trick. My husband has been saying he wanted to try the 7 dust. For now tho, my uncle said he uses equal parts of Skin-So-Soft, rubbing alcohol, and water. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the chickens, the ground, and all thru the coop. It works pretty good. We only had a small amount of the Skin-So-Soft, so we just sprayed the birds, but if we'd have had enough to cover the area, I'm sure the ole buggers would be gone! I also heard that you can use Listerine full strength, (the nasty tasting, gold-colored kind). Put it in a garden sprayer. You can spray the birds and everything. I've also heard of people spraying their lawns, decks and other areas. This not only helps with the gnats, but it also helps with mosquitos and other flying pests. One woman said she carries a small spray bottle of it where ever she goes. You can spray it on you clothes to keep them off of yourself too!><>

Gnats are attractred to the cider vinegar because it is sweet. The white vinegar repels them...it is not sweet. We have used apple cider vinegar and a squirt of dish soap in a quart jar and left it out. The gnats go in and drown.

Thanks terrielacy. I'll try that. The floods have created a huge gnat problem over here:( My poor chickens have had to be in the garage with fans on them these past few days as nothing I did would keep the gnats off for long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom