Goat-proof chicken feeder- Ideas?

NewGuineaChooks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
We now have a group of banties that think the goat pen is a wonderful place. They discovered it and want to live there. (really like the warm roosts - aka - goat backs)

We would be happy to keep them in there...(its actually useful for many reasons)....but there is one major problem. I can't feed them! They get 2 bites, and then the goats arrive, butt them out of the way and finish the feed.

Brainstorms on a goat proof feeder? It would need to:
-be sturdy enough for goats to jump on top of
-be accessible to banties
-not be accessible to the goats.

I wonder if I need a long wooden tunnel with the feed at the end? Would the chickens be scared of a dark tunnel? or would they learn to go in to get the feed?

That is an interestimg idea. I was planning on keeping my goats and chickens in the same yard and was also concerened with the goats getting into the feed. If that works for you please post pics.

I think I would make something more along the lines of a wooden top and frame, with hardware cloth (or some other sturdy wire) for the sides.

When we let our chickens pasture with our sheep, we had a small chicken sized connecting door between the chicken run and the sheep pasture.

My guineas took up residence in the goat shed too.

I feed the goats and put them out to pasture every morning and make sure I leave a scoop of feed for the guineas. They drink out of the goat water, too.

In the evening when we close up the guineas are ready to roost in the rafters but they peck around for grains that I leave out for them just before dark where the goats can't get at it.

I have more trouble with the guineas getting into the goat feed than the goats getting into the guineas feed.

Chicken feed is toxic to goats. It will cause Urinary Calculi. DO NOT let your goats eat it!

A determined goat will get into any chicken feeder you construct. The only way to do this is to make a stall or similar area the goats cannot get into. When we don't have kids, our chickens access their stall through a very small (5x8") hole in the stall wall like a doggie door. Kids fit through the hole though, so when we have little goats, the chickens must fly over a stall door to access their food and nest boxes.

This is how I'd do it. A basic plywood box with a locking lid. You could make the bottom out of wire if you don't have poo machines. Then you wouldn't have to clean the box out as much.

foodboxfq0.jpg

You'd need to make this box heavy enough or anchor it down so mr goat won't knock it over to get the food.

Did this plan work? I was thinking about cutting a hole 5x5 in the wall and placing a sub wall inside (like a maze).

Back
Top Bottom