Goat Thread

Pics

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕🐖🐈
Aug 2, 2020
California
I know lots of people on BYC own goats! And my family and I are looking into goats this year. Obviously, I want to be prepared before we get them. So far, we are looking into Nigerian Dwarfs and Boer goats. My dad being the one that wants a few meat goats. I am just asking about Nigerian Dwarfs though. Below are a few of my questions. So, first of all, I want to say that we are looking into getting breeding goats, so we want good genetics and a buck. We have stalls to keep them in, so their housing is under control. Feel free to not answer ALL the questions below, as I have lots.

1.) Do you keep a goat spread sheet to keep count on who needs to be bred and their due dates and such?
2.) I know that ND goats tend to get leg issues. So do you have recommended supplements? I know copper is one goats may be deficient in.
3.) Do you recommend getting polled goats?
4.) How often do you deworm your goats if you do?
5.) What are your favorite goat treats?
6.) Do herbal dewormers for goats tend to work? What do you use?
7.) Where did you get your goats? I am planning on asking a few of my neighbors for recommendations, but I am taking lots of opinions.
8.) How many times do you breed a year? How long can you milk a goat after it gives birth/after the babies are fully weaned?
9.) Do you give any special shots? (please include how they are given, otherwise, I would expect they are intermuscular shots given at the shoulder).
10.) This is my current checklist. Any other recommendations?
- Alfalfa (Making up for 90-95% of their diet)
- Mineral blend and baking soda.
- Hoove clipper
- Brush
- Shaver
- Dewormer (need recommendations on what to get, but I can get safeguard and Valbazen.
- A nice bag of shavings
- Birthing supplies. (we will get these later, but planning to get a lot of stuff.)

I have heard you all own ND goats? @CapricornFarm @Everose @JustBabyMargo @Little Baby Bean Please feel free to tag any one else who may help.

I bought my does from one breeder in VA and my buck from another breeder in NC.
Only have 4 does and one buck so no spreadsheet.
Deworming is important. The Boer goats i had were very sensitive to worms. Personally i prefer Kiko goats if you want to raise meat goats.i recommend deworming before breeding, and as youngsters. You have to watch for pale gums. Too much deworming is not good.

I bought my does from one breeder in VA and my buck from another breeder in NC.
Only have 4 does and one buck so no spreadsheet.
Deworming is important. The Boer goats i had were very sensitive to worms. Personally i prefer Kiko goats if you want to raise meat goats.i recommend deworming before breeding, and as youngsters. You have to watch for pale gums. Too much deworming is not good.
Thank you! What do you use to deworm them?

The Boer goats are my dad's idea. He is doing his own thing.

.) Do you keep a goat spread sheet to keep count on who needs to be bred and their due dates and such?
Mark breedings, heats, and kiddings on a calendar. There's never been any need for a spreadsheet here. Just look for signs of pregnancy, heats, and watch when they breed.
2.) I know that ND goats tend to get leg issues. So do you have recommended supplements? I know copper is one goats may be deficient in.
Mine never had issues. Always keep a bucket of mineral available to them, always. Keeping mineral in their pen has been a lifesaver.
3.) Do you recommend getting polled goats?
Not really. I only have one and he's not that great. Disbudding kids is scary but easy and fast.
They get dewormed when they have worms. Do not worm regularly, worms get resistant and goats don't build resistance unlike cows and sheep.
.) What are your favorite goat treats?
Pickles, animal crackers, and they love fruity stuff like dates and fig newtons.
6.) Do herbal dewormers for goats tend to work? What do you use?
Garlic is great. There's only two ways to keep goats IMAO, and that's in a dry lot or in strict rotation pastures. If you do it right you won't have to worm.
Petting zoos can only afford to keep goats by keeping them on a dry lot where they don't eat feed off of the ground.
7.) Where did you get your goats? I am planning on asking a few of my neighbors for recommendations, but I am taking lots of opinions.
Local breeders. Look for breeders who don't worm regularly. My polled buck had immune worms and he's crappy because of it.
8.) How many times do you breed a year?
Once. My main goats are Mini Nubians tho so they're a bit different.
How long can you milk a goat after it gives birth/after the babies are fully weaned?
A year. Or until the next kidding. Milking through isn't the best and I prefer to stop once they are ready to breed.

This is all based off of my personal experience and I'm no professional.

Thank you for looking for advice and researching things beforehand cherry, that's a wonderful start. Your goats are going to be so lucky.

Ours have free access to sheep minerals. Since we have sheep, and sheep can’t have copper, ours don’t get the type that goats need, so they get copper bolus instead. We give them to the goats like pills. If you don’t have sheep, however, free choice goat minerals should do the job.
We have not had to deal with this yet. We will wait for symptoms.
5.) What are your favorite goat treats?
Wet cob is their favorite treat. Mine are picky.
I got mine from a local breeder. She polled them for us and gave them all of their shots.

Last edited:
Non-polled kids can even slash their mother’s udders open. I would vote polled goats %100!
Horned kids can. Polled to polled breedings can result in hermaphroditic and sterile goats. That's why I don't want anymore of them.
She polled them for us and gave them all of their shots.
Your breeder disbudded them😉

Polled is being born without horns. They can't grow them at all. They have loose skin over their horn buttons as babies versus tight skin and a pointy bump.

Mark breedings, heats, and kiddings on a calendar. There's never been any need for a spreadsheet here. Just look for signs of pregnancy, heats, and watch when they breed.

Mine never had issues. Always keep a bucket of mineral available to them, always. Keeping mineral in their pen has been a lifesaver.

Not really. I only have one and he's not that great. Disbudding kids is scary but easy and fast.

They get dewormed when they have worms. Do not worm regularly, worms get resistant and goats don't build resistance unlike cows and sheep.

Pickles, animal crackers, and they love fruity stuff like dates and fig newtons.

Garlic is great. There's only two ways to keep goats IMAO, and that's in a dry lot or in strict rotation pastures. If you do it right you won't have to worm.
Petting zoos can only afford to keep goats by keeping them on a dry lot where they don't eat feed off of the ground.

Local breeders. Look for breeders who don't worm regularly. My polled buck had immune worms and he's crappy because of it.

Once. My main goats are Mini Nubians tho so they're a bit different.

A year. Or until the next kidding. Milking through isn't the best and I prefer to stop once they are ready to breed.

This is all based off of my personal experience and I'm no professional.

Thank you for looking for advice and researching things beforehand cherry, that's a wonderful start. Your goats are going to be so lucky.
Thank you. Do you offer baking soda for bloating, or is that a myth?

Have you ever used pumpkin seeds or herbal dewormers? I know this is a myth for chickens, but I know close to nothing about goats. But they seem to require a lower dosage for deworming, so maybe it works??

Ours have free access to sheep minerals. Since we have sheep, and sheep can’t have copper, ours don’t get the type that goats need, so they get copper bolus instead. We give them to the goats like pills. If you don’t have sheep, however, free choice goat minerals should do the job.

YES! If you do not poll your goats, they can seriously injure each other as well as themselves. Non-polled kids can even slash their mother’s udders open. I would vote polled goats %100!

We have not had to deal with this yet. We will wait for symptoms.

Wet cob is their favorite treat. Mine are picky.

I got mine from a local breeder. She polled them for us and gave them all of their shots.
Thank you. Yes, I am in the goat 4H, so I know how to dehorn. Just looking for opinions on whether or not it would be easier to get naturally polled goats.

Back
Top Bottom