Do you have goats?

• Total voters
I understand! I managed to get a collar on rascal the day we brought him home but haven’t been able to do much with him yet beyond that. We had to make some changes in the pasture yesterday though…..sometime before we got home, he managed to get his horns and foot tangled in the netting I had around my chicken coop 🤦‍♀️ we got him free and he seemed to recover but it was scary! We removed all the electric inside the pasture for now.
I've had that happen in the past so I can relate to how scary it is. Glad you got him free with no damage.

I mentioned that Annie had 2 kids in early May - a boy and a girl. I had the boy wethered. I was hoping to pen him up with Peter but not until he's fully weaned and a little older. His mama still let's him and his sister nurse from time to time. I also need to build a bigger goat house that can fit 2 - 3 fully grown goats. Peter currently uses a large doghouse but it's only big enough for him.

Thanks for giving me some insight on the behavior though. It helps me understand what is happening.
Three months is plenty old enough to wean the wether so you can separate him whenever your housing is ready. No need to wait for mom to decide. I've kept some of the doelings born here over the years and sometimes the dams will let them nurse for 6 months. I've even heard of some people who have to deal with separating yearlings because they won't stop nursing and the dam is ready to kid again.

Annie and her kids checking out the wood pile. Maple is the little brown doeling. Pepe is the black & white wether.

IMG_3102.jpg IMG_3101.jpg

Back
Top Bottom