Going over the 10% treat guideline

ShannaES

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Newhall, California
Soooo, is it alright to temporarily exceed the 10% treat guideline in extreme heat conditions? The temps in So Cal area will be in triple digits until next Tuesday (tomorrow will be 110) so I have been feeding cold watermelon, mango and other cool treats to combat overheating. I am also providing cool water, fermented feed, misters in the run, a fan and tons of shade. They also have an orange tree next to their coop and I have been soaking the ground so they can burrow in the cool soil.

Attachments

• 20220830_140202.jpg
    20220830_140202.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220830_140116.jpg
    20220830_140116.jpg
    890.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220830_135902.jpg
    20220830_135902.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Just like having a cheat day won't make you suddenly gain 5 pounds (only temporary until you poop), it won't harm them in the long run. If anything, having cool treats to help stay hydrated and not dying of heat stroke is probably better for their health :)

Absolutely! I live in So Cal too and my chickens definitely eat more watery treats like watermelon, cucumber, grapes, etc on very hot days like this week will be. I do like to also wet down some of their crumble feed with water to make a mash that they love. It gives them some extra hydration and gets them to eat a bit more as well.

Absolutely! I live in So Cal too and my chickens definitely eat more watery treats like watermelon, cucumber, grapes, etc on very hot days like this week will be. I do like to also wet down some of their crumble feed with water to make a mash that they love. It gives them some extra hydration and gets them to eat a bit more as well.
Thank you. They have been annihilating their fermented feed and cool treats. I've tried grapes & cukes but they won't touch either... they do love some peeled mango & tomatoes tho

The 10% thing is for "optimal" egg laying. If you don't care if the chickens lay 200 eggs a year as opposed to 220, I think you can for the most part disregard it.

IT just depends what you want. IF you are maximizing egg laying then maybe give it consideration. I don't really care if I get 4 eggs a week per chicken or 6. I just enjoy watching them. I like feeding them weeds and watching what they like. I think it is fun when they get pumped up for their daily scratch.

Between running the compost piles through the run (bugs and crawlie things), scratch, and the daily weeds I throw in the run for them to have, I bet at least 25-33% of what they eat during the warm months is something other than feed.

Back
Top Bottom