Going over the 10% treat guideline

Soooo, is it alright to temporarily exceed the 10% treat guideline in extreme heat conditions? The temps in So Cal area will be in triple digits until next Tuesday (tomorrow will be 110) so I have been feeding cold watermelon, mango and other cool treats to combat overheating. I am also providing cool water, fermented feed, misters in the run, a fan and tons of shade. They also have an orange tree next to their coop and I have been soaking the ground so they can burrow in the cool soil.
We had a heat wave recently and my chickens ate mostly cool treats. But I would say on a normal day my lot go over the 10% treats anyway and all are doing good.
Just to give another suggestion to help cool them I provided cat litter trays filled with cool water. My lot walked in them when it was hot but don’t walk in them now it’s cooled down so I’m guessing it helped.

We had a heat wave recently and my chickens ate mostly cool treats. But I would say on a normal day my lot go over the 10% treats anyway and all are doing good.
Just to give another suggestion to help cool them I provided cat litter trays filled with cool water. My lot walked in them when it was hot but don’t walk in them now it’s cooled down so I’m guessing it helped.
I've been putting out litter boxes with cool water on most warm days but they refuse to use them so far (109 again today and the nitwits still won't try it). I even tried to place my friendliest hens in them but they flew out and haven't returned.

A friend of mine once mentioned freezing bottles of water and putting a sock over them, apparently his chickens would cuddle them to help cool down! Obviously don't put them in the sun haha 😂
I did put frozen bottles of water out there today and more in small kitty litter box. Hoping they give them a shot in this heat wave. I dote on them daily and they are still so suspicious of everything I do for them, lol

I've been putting out litter boxes with cool water on most warm days but they refuse to use them so far (109 again today and the nitwits still won't try it). I even tried to place my friendliest hens in them but they flew out and haven't returned.
Well all we need to do is provide and leave it up to them if they want to use it or not. As long as they have lots of shade and lots of access to water they should be fine. Pouring some water on the ground too can cool down the ground temperature. You can hang sheets over fencing to provide even more shade. Spraying the coops with water and leaving iced water in the coop can help bring temperature inside the coop down. I had a broody sitting on eggs during one of the heatwaves here trying to keep her cool was not fun!

Mine have been doing that too

Back
Top Bottom