Going to roost for the night...

suburbanchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Raleigh NC
I had a difficult time getting the chicks back in their coop last night to shut the door... it was their first night outside. I won't be closing the door for long though when it gets warm enough to leave it open all night. But once I start leaving it open, will they start going in on their own to roost?

Last night, even if I was going to leave the door open, I don't think they would have gone in on their own. They were just all hunkered down together sleeping in the corner of the run away from the coop. I had to lure them inside. If I would have left them out, they would have gotten cold and soaked from the rain.

I guess my question is... do they have enough sense to get in out of the rain and cold?

And how long does it take before they get into the habit of going in at night on their own?

These girls are 5 weeks old.

you will have tobe patient with them.an drive them in for awhile till they learn to go in.untill then they will drive you crazy.

Quote:
If they are kept in the hen house for a couple weeks without being let outdoors, they usually will return to the house at night. And will know that's where they should lay their eggs.

If you keep their feed and water inside the house, they will always return.

We don't have a run, as our flock forages our 2 fenced acres from sunup to sundown. We keep water in the hen house, so the flock goes back to the hen house to get water all day long.

I have seen them also drink the water from the bowls kept by the house and the barn for our Great Pyrenees.

Some chickens never come in out of the rain unless there is thunder and lightening. Our chickens refused to go outdoors when the temps were below zero or if the ground was covered in snow and they couldn't see the grass.

Can you put a waterproof cover (like a tarp or some polyfilm) over a portion of the run? This will not only protect them from rain, it will provide needed shade as the temperatures rise.

Last edited:
Our chickens like the rain or they are not smart enough to come out of it, if it gets heavy they will find some shelter. They don’t seem to mine even when they finally go to the coop in the evening they will just shake off. In time they will go to their coop on their own they are still young.

I have a chicken book. It says that chickens will automatically go back to the place they roost every night. Maybe if you get them used to going in there then they'll finally go there on their own. They're still little pipsqueeks now but I guess that they will be even more used to their home.

OK, patience it is! I do plan to cover half of their run with a tarp or something.

I have their food inside the coop and their water out in the run.

So they are smart enough to know to go in to eat... right?

I suppose so. Chickens are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. As of now my mom and I have 3.5 week olds they'll still in the house but we're building a roost.

But your guys are still chicks. Just give them time to ajust, they were probably shy when they first met you and it will be the same thing. Chicks are like children. They will adapt!
big_smile.png

My girls started going to roost at night (on their own) after the first couple days. I had to herd them in the first few nights, and occasionally if I don't close up fast enough, I'll find them out there pecking around in the moonlight (must think they're owls??), but they go in willingly. They are older though, but sounds like everyone's given good advice for getting little ones (or new ones) used to their coop.

My buff girl doesn't mind the rain either. They have a huge patio to take cover, or their coop, but Blondie just stands out there enjoying the earthworms unless it's absolutely pouring. Pearl has more sense... she takes cover at the first sprinkle.

I'm curious to see what kind of uproar it's gonna cause when it's time for the chicks to join the hens.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom