Golden Cascade sexing?

Ruralpearls

Songster
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Utah
I ordered Silver Appleyard ducklings from Holderreads and was given two Golden Cascades in the batch. From what I understand about GCs you can only tell the sex of their offspring when they mate with other breeds of ducks. So, these babies being pure, I am curious about how soon I can tell gender. There is a distinct ring around the neck of one of them, but they are still with down. I have tried to google images of GC ducklings but I am not having much luck. Is this just strange coloring or will the down feather out as shown? Or do I just need to wait for the quack?

The GC's are in the back:

I am in the same boat! I received 2 golden cascade as bonus ducklings from Holderreads as well. Not a lot of info out there. I read somewhere that they can be sexed by down, boys dark/girls light. But then somewhere on here someone said that they spoke to holderreads and they said that's not true.
One of mine looks similar to your lighter colored one. The other one is much lighter.
When did you get yours? They look about the same age as mine.

I am in the same boat! I received 2 golden cascade as bonus ducklings from Holderreads as well. Not a lot of info out there. I read somewhere that they can be sexed by down, boys dark/girls light. But then somewhere on here someone said that they spoke to holderreads and they said that's not true.
One of mine looks similar to your lighter colored one. The other one is much lighter.
When did you get yours? They look about the same age as mine.
I got mine the third of June. They are growing like weeds but both of them have a distinct light stripe around their neck. I didn't know if that was just a GC thing or if that is an indicator that they will be drakes. Yah, Holderread himself said that only their offspring could be sexed if they were bred with some other type of duck. I must admit, I am really curious though. What other breeds did you order? My Appleyards are starting to get white on their throats :).

I got mine the third of June. They are growing like weeds but both of them have a distinct light stripe around their neck. I didn't know if that was just a GC thing or if that is an indicator that they will be drakes. Yah, Holderread himself said that only their offspring could be sexed if they were bred with some other type of duck. I must admit, I am really curious though. What other breeds did you order? My Appleyards are starting to get white on their throats :).

Mine came on the June 4th. Same hatch ;)
I ordered 7 welsh harlequin and 3 appleyards. I sold the 3 WH that I assumed to be drakes (by bill color) and one of the appleyards right away. I wish I would have kept the appleyards tho, they have become my favorites. What does the white throat mean?

Not the best pic..but you can see the 2 golden cascades to the right. Lighter color in front, darker in back. They def don't have as pronounced of a ring on the neck as yours do. The lighter one has started to make a little honk sound, so fingers crossed I have a girl!

Mine came on the June 4th. Same hatch
wink.png

I ordered 7 welsh harlequin and 3 appleyards. I sold the 3 WH that I assumed to be drakes (by bill color) and one of the appleyards right away. I wish I would have kept the appleyards tho, they have become my favorites. What does the white throat mean?
I don't think it means anything special, I just noticed that some of their throats and cheeks are turning white and losing the yellow. They are growing up!! Have you tried meal worms? Mine will eat them right from my hands. They went CRAZY over watermelon too. They won't let me hold them yet but I can stroke some of them. I took this pic today of them snuggling with my turkey :)

Not the best pic..but you can see the 2 golden cascades to the right. Lighter color in front, darker in back. They def don't have as pronounced of a ring on the neck as yours do. The lighter one has started to make a little honk sound, so fingers crossed I have a girl!
Wow! Your GCs are much lighter!! Hmm, it will be really interesting to figure out what they will be. Knowing my luck I have a whole batch of drakes :( I think I might have heard a quack today though. It was not their usual sound and it was kind of weird and high pitched. Time will tell :)

The
Wow! Your GCs are much lighter!! Hmm, it will be really interesting to figure out what they will be. Knowing my luck I have a whole batch of drakes :( I think I might have heard a quack today though. It was not their usual sound and it was kind of weird and high pitched. Time will tell :)

The waiting game is soooo hard right?!?! This is my first time with ducks and I'm so nervous about everything. I can't decide if I will keep any drakes or not. I've been obsessing over them learning to use the ramp ( they can easily get out of their house, but I never see them go back in) They are standing outside in the rain right now and I keep running out there with an umbrella to check on them :/
They do love their treats tho! Meal worms, oatmeal, peas, greans. Anytime I come out they come searching for food. Climbing all over my lap, nibbling my clothes. I can pick up the two appleyards..but the GC and WH won't let me (although they are the first to jump in my lap)
I'd love to continue watching your GC grow. Let's keep posting pics as they feather out!

The
The waiting game is soooo hard right?!?! This is my first time with ducks and I'm so nervous about everything. I can't decide if I will keep any drakes or not. I've been obsessing over them learning to use the ramp ( they can easily get out of their house, but I never see them go back in) They are standing outside in the rain right now and I keep running out there with an umbrella to check on them
hmm.png

They do love their treats tho! Meal worms, oatmeal, peas, greans. Anytime I come out they come searching for food. Climbing all over my lap, nibbling my clothes. I can pick up the two appleyards..but the GC and WH won't let me (although they are the first to jump in my lap)
I'd love to continue watching your GC grow. Let's keep posting pics as they feather out!
I am in your same boat. I am not sure if I wan't a drake or not. I have a friend who has offered to take any drakes I don't want so I am puzzling over what to do. I have my ducks in a coop and I have to encourage them to go out too. Once they are out, they don't want to go back in! I haven't tried oatmeal yet. While they were still in the brooder I would take them out and let them swim in my tub and dive for peas. It was so cute!! I noticed yesterday that there are some funny looking quills coming out the sides of their bodies and tails. I think feathers are on their way!! I will post pictures of their progress. I am so curious about the neck rings mine have.

Ruralpearls, I'm going to say you have a duck and a drake! From my experiences the lighter ones tend to be the females. This isn't always true but it gives you a pretty good guess to what they'll be. They are all so beautiful though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom