Golden Comet - How do I make my own?? What is the correct MIX??

mdkrush

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
North Georgia
Ok so I have one golden comet amongst my EE's. So I have been hatching EE's but am thinking of getting rid of them all to hatch my own Golden Comets to keep and to sell... So I can not figure out what mix actually makes a golden comet... I have heard a production RIR and Rhode island white hen, White Rock female and a New Hampshire male, and I think two other types... Even hatcheries have different mixes... So what is the real one??

Thanks.

Golden Comets are a form of the Red Sex-Link. To create a Red Sex-Link, you need a red male (like RIR or New Hampshire Red) and a female carrying the silver gene. You can cross a Rhode island Red male to a White Plymouth Rock female, and you'll get Red Sex-Links. I believe that Silver Laced Wyandotes are another "silver" type of hen that you can use.

Thanks!

What makes the best layers?
Is there a traditional mix to make them?
What is the most common?
Which mix would have the largest eggs?

Ok so I have one golden comet amongst my EE's. So I have been hatching EE's but am thinking of getting rid of them all to hatch my own Golden Comets to keep and to sell... So I can not figure out what mix actually makes a golden comet... I have heard a production RIR and Rhode island white hen, White Rock female and a New Hampshire male, and I think two other types... Even hatcheries have different mixes... So what is the real one??

Thanks.

"golden comet" is just another name for a Red Sex LInk - and the reason you see so many different mixes is that you can't find the "real" mix, is that it's simply a matter of a red based male over a silver female -- there are many red males and silver females to choose from. Each hatchery uses their own particular blend -and then pins their won cutesy name on them, and then non-hatchery affiliated people take those same names and stick them on their red sex link birds, but a red sex link is a red sex link.

Last edited:
You probably cannot make a Golden Comet, in that it is highly likely most Golden Comets are highly specialized, commercial laying birds from proprietary breeding stock.

That said, you can certainly make sex links. You can, in fact, make an excellent layer and a bird that may actually have a longer life than a commercial bird. I would likely use a Red male, from a top egg laying strain, if eggs were important to me.

The white female of equation would need to also be from an excellent egg laying strain. Mere crossing alone doesn't produce magic beyond the egg laying genetics of the parent stock. I would probably use a Delaware or a Columbian Rock on the female side.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
That makes sense... A little discouraging... Maybe I will just keep my EE's and continue on...

I was under the impression that with the correct mix it would = prolific layer... That is what led me to wanting to roll my own. :)

Anyway, I mixed my EE rooster and Golden Comet to see if I could get a large blue egg layer... They hatch this Saturday!

Hunting on Craigslist I am not sure how I could come across the stock with known traits that I would want to make my own Golden Comets, but at least now I have more to consider and better idea of how to make one (and how THEY make a good one).

Thanks a lot!!!

That makes sense... A little discouraging... Maybe I will just keep my EE's and continue on...

I was under the impression that with the correct mix it would = prolific layer... That is what led me to wanting to roll my own. :)

Anyway, I mixed my EE rooster and Golden Comet to see if I could get a large blue egg layer... They hatch this Saturday!

Hunting on Craigslist I am not sure how I could come across the stock with known traits that I would want to make my own Golden Comets, but at least now I have more to consider and better idea of how to make one (and how THEY make a good one).

Thanks a lot!!!
welcome-byc.gif
Good to have you. I'm interested also. Do you have an incubator? Do some research on the different threads and get good Delaware eggs or Columbian Rocks and hatch. Get a good New Hampshire male. It's great.

I decided to keep crossing my Golden Comet Hen with my EE rooster... I now have about 6 chicks from this cross and making more now. I am hoping to see if I can get some EE looking hens that lay LARGE blue eggs. Then cross them again with an EE.

This is fun. :)

Golden Comets are a form of the Red Sex-Link. To create a Red Sex-Link, you need a red male (like RIR or New Hampshire Red) and a female carrying the silver gene. You can cross a Rhode island Red male to a White Plymouth Rock female, and you'll get Red Sex-Links. I believe that Silver Laced Wyandotes are another "silver" type of hen that you can use.

What Wyandotes7 says is correct--any red gene roo x silver gene hen will give you a Red Sex Link. The particular red x silver cross that is used by most of the hatcheries that market their Red Sex Links under the name Golden Comet is RIR x R.I. White, although those marketed as Hubbard Golden Comets are New Hampshire x White Rock.

Back
Top Bottom