Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen Or Roo?

windingwaypoultry

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2022
Nevada City, CA
Hi everyone,

One of our Golden Laced Wyandotte is looking suspiciously like a rooster. We purchased day old chicks listed as all female from Hoovers Hatchery. They were hatched on July 13th (making them 15 weeks at the time of this post). I noticed a few weeks ago that one of the Golden Laced was developing a very big comb while all the other pullets had the usual tiny undeveloped comb. What do you guys think? The more I look at "him" the more I'm certain it's a roo. "He's" huge compared to the others and it showing very rooster like feather growth, but isn't by any means top of the pecking order and has yet to crow. We introduced 18 pullets to our existing 2 year old hens a few months ago which may explain why he isn't top of the pecking order.

Thanks Guys!!

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1967.jpg
    IMG_1967.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    918.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks @OneHappyDuckie @artby! I'm actually very exited to have a cockerel, we'll see how exited my neighbors will be once he starts crowing 😆 luckily I live in the country. Is it unusual for him not to be top of the pecking order and to have not crowed yet? Or is that just due to his young age?
No, that isn't unusual. He'll likely start crowing soon though!

Thanks @OneHappyDuckie @artby! I'm actually very exited to have a cockerel, we'll see how exited my neighbors will be once he starts crowing 😆 luckily I live in the country. Is it unusual for him not to be top of the pecking order and to have not crowed yet? Or is that just due to his young age?
Older hens will keep him lower until they believe he is mature enough to take over. When the time comes, either he and the top hen will scuffle it out a few times until he gives up or she will allow him to breed her.

Chicken pecking order disputes are usually reserved to a bit of pecking, some chasing, and that should be it. If he and the top hen really throw down, with feathers flying, you'll want to step in.

You probably won't have to, it sounds like he already understands his current place and will probably not push his luck too much.

Older hens will keep him lower until they believe he is mature enough to take over. When the time comes, either he and the top hen will scuffle it out a few times until he gives up or she will allow him to breed her.

Chicken pecking order disputes are usually reserved to a bit of pecking, some chasing, and that should be it. If he and the top hen really throw down, with feathers flying, you'll want to step in.

You probably won't have to, it sounds like he already understands his current place and will probably not push his luck too much.
Thanks @artbykarenehaley. We've become very used to pecking order disputes over the years rejuvenating the flock with new pullets. This will be our first cockerel, I look forward to them becoming a breeding flock in the future!

He's lovely! He looks to be at the same stage as my silver-laced young cockerel, and they look quite similar in the face and the tail. Mine is also not near the top of the pecking order.

He's lovely! He looks to be at the same stage as my silver-laced young cockerel, and they look quite similar in the face and the tail. Mine is also not near the top of the pecking order.
Thanks for the reply! I took a look at your pictures of Wyatt and they do look quite similar. Has he started to crow yet? Still no crowing over here at a few days off 17 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom