I'm still trying to decide if my Black Cochin, Boots is in fact a hen or not lol. I got boots from a friend who says its a hen and has laid eggs. Though I've gotten no eggs from Boots myself yet, though it possible she has not started to lay yet this year. But the more I look at boots the more I am not certain either way.

I figure I will either end up with 2 brown eggs in a day, or Boots will start crowing, either of which should tell me for sure.
Boots looks like a hen to me!

Got this chicken and was told it was a pullet, but now at 14-16 weeks or so it’s mounting one of my silkies all the time. It’s at the bottom of the pecking order so I don’t think it’s just a dominance thing. Looks like a golden laced Wyandotte to me but was told it’s an Easter egger. I just noticed what I think are new saddle feathers coming in. They’re bright orange, long and thin and have a different color pattern than the regular golden laced feathers. You can’t see in the pics but it also is starting to get some rusty tipped feathers around its shoulder area. I thought it was blood at first and got really worried! I don’t want a rooster, and the person I got it from asked if I want to exchange for a hen. I don’t want to be wrong and exchange this one for no reason.
Hard to tell really, I am inclined to say pullet, just for the fact that it doesn’t look like a Wyandotte Roo.

https://cs-tf.com/golden-laced-wyandotte/

I'm still trying to decide if my Black Cochin, Boots is in fact a hen or not lol. I got boots from a friend who says its a hen and has laid eggs. Though I've gotten no eggs from Boots myself yet, though it possible she has not started to lay yet this year. But the more I look at boots the more I am not certain either way.

I figure I will either end up with 2 brown eggs in a day, or Boots will start crowing, either of which should tell me for sure.
Oooo what a beauty 💕 I have a thing for wattles and feathered legs - I would say pullet.

Got this chicken and was told it was a pullet, but now at 14-16 weeks or so it’s mounting one of my silkies all the time. It’s at the bottom of the pecking order so I don’t think it’s just a dominance thing. Looks like a golden laced Wyandotte to me but was told it’s an Easter egger. I just noticed what I think are new saddle feathers coming in. They’re bright orange, long and thin and have a different color pattern than the regular golden laced feathers. You can’t see in the pics but it also is starting to get some rusty tipped feathers around its shoulder area. I thought it was blood at first and got really worried! I don’t want a rooster, and the person I got it from asked if I want to exchange for a hen. I don’t want to be wrong and exchange this one for no reason.
And yes likely am EE:

Check out this looks just like your beauty, muffs, beard and lack of comb and wattles

https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Easter-Egger-Day-Old-Chicks-p212457881

I am a bit late, but that is a cockerel. No female is going to have pointed saddle feathers. Or any pointed feathers, for that matter.

Thanks! Is it weird that his comb is little and he doesn’t have wattles?
Both the comb and the wattles come in many different shapes and sizes. It is not strange at all for a chicken to have a flat and tiny comb, especially when they are an Easter Egger, who typically have pea combs. Having a large comb is stereotypical of a male, not all male chickens have that because comb and wattles size depends on the breed. Your chicken also does have wattles, you just can't see them under that beard. Wattles can be so flat that it looks like the chicken does not have them, but yes, they will always have both a comb and wattles.

Female. Rounded feathers.

I am a bit late, but that is a cockerel. No female is going to have pointed saddle feathers. Or any pointed feathers, for that matter.

Both the comb and the wattles come in many different shapes and sizes. It is not strange at all for a chicken to have a flat and tiny comb, especially when they are an Easter Egger, who typically have pea combs. Having a large comb is stereotypical of a male, not all male chickens have that because comb and wattles size depends on the breed. Your chicken also does have wattles, you just can't see them under that beard. Wattles can be so flat that it looks like the chicken does not have them, but yes, they will always have both a comb and wattles.
He was, in fact, a cockerel! A week or so ago he grew a ton and started growing really bright orange long skinny hackle and saddle feathers

The first one in your OP was a rooster because he had visible hackle feathers, a taller stance than a hen, and was pretty red around the face area.

Boots is a hen.

The first one in your OP was a rooster because he had visible hackle feathers, a taller stance than a hen, and was pretty red around the face area.

Boots is a hen.
She confirmed this today actually and finally laid an egg. I had thought she was but then started to worry when she still hadn't gotten around the laying any eggs. All of the other all gotten at the same time had long since been laying, she was apparently waiting for her opinion of when spring was here.

Back
Top Bottom