Golden Salmon Marans

Sorry I just saw your reply to my post. Here are the birds from the chick I posted and some others.

[/IMG]

Sorry I just saw your reply to my post. Here are the birds from the chick I posted and some others.

[/IMG]
I think you have a melanizer or the eb allele acting on these birds. The birds are a bit redder hue and darker. I don't think it is autosomal red because the salmon breast( that I can see) isn't that darker salmon color. The females aren't bad. I wish you had a pure GSM roo to breed them too. Worth looking for one. Maybe from Bev Davis? If you could just shake loose a roo from Arla Meininger in Grayling, Mich. , you would be in like Flint. I was never able to get her to share any with my. Maybe she has changed her mind over the years. I don't know if Marie Cantrell in MT. still has any. You might try asking Walt Boese who runs a Black Powder and Archery shop in Deer Lodge, MT. I once found a flock at North River Exotics. I forget the State they are in.
Best,
Karen

They are advertised here in the uk, and I just wondered if they were genuine. The trouble is, if I bought them, because they're the only ones in the uk, where would I get another bloodline from, or can I cross the females and the males together from the hatch? Many thanks for any info.

Thank you for your help! Yeah I have been trying so hard. It is so very difficult with what I have to work with. ;( I have been talking to Bev. I will shoot her another email and see if she would let loose of a roo. Praying that she would be willing fingers crossed! I have exhausted all other sources. ;(

mbenker, did you get the private email I sent you a while back? I can resend if you didn't.
Best,
Karen

They are advertised here in the uk, and I just wondered if they were genuine. The trouble is, if I bought them, because they're the only ones in the uk, where would I get another bloodline from, or can I cross the females and the males together from the hatch? Many thanks for any info.
I think there are quality Golden Salmon Marans in Ireland. There's a website out there called Irishfowl . Might try that.
http://www.irishfowl.com/irish-poultry-breeders.php?q=maran&name=Maran
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi,
I think I have finally figured out how the breeder in Georgia , years ago, managed to buy a Golden Salmon male( won BOV at the show in Newnan, GA a while back)... How it happened......
I was reading Grant' B's "21st Century Poultry Breeding" book last night. Here's how it went, I think.
Ok, the breeder in Florida was working on Red Pyle Marans. He was creating them on the e+ allele. That's the "wildtype" allele, same as the Golden Salmon. Now if you add one copy of Dominant White gene to the wildtype, you get Red Pyle. If you add 2 genes of the Dominant White gene to wildtype, you still get Red Pyle, but the red isn't as intense...unless you also add the Mahogany gene. Then you still get a nice looking red Pyle , even tho there are 2 copies of the Dominant White gene there. If you breed that Red Pyle with a single copy of the Dominant White gene to an e+ partridge based bird, you will get wildtype, proving out that the Red Pyle is pure for e+ ( wildtype) in their allele foundation.
Ok, I think the breeder in Florida did the latter. Wildtype allele with 2 copies of Dominant white and the Mh gene. Now years ago, I got eggs or chicks( I forget which) from the lady in Georgia. They were sired by that Golden Salmon cock out of some hens from another strain of Golden Salmon. When the chicks grew up, tho, I did not get any Golden Salmon, some of the chicks were Black-Tailed Buffs. What surprised me was the Black-Tailed Buff Marans had the Mahogany gene which gave them a lovely color. I could not figure out where the MH gene came from ?!?
I gave/sold them to a nam named Ross in Ohio to work on his Black-Tailed Buff Marans program. I don't know what happened to them from there. As to the lady in Georgia who had the Golden Salmon cock, I don't think the Mahogany gene would have showed up enough on her cock for folk to notice or care. That's the problem with Golden Salmon cocks. It's easy for them to look right when they are carrying unwanted gene. But the hens never lie.
Best,
Karen

there is more than one breeder in the uk, I am in the uk and currently have chicks from two different flocks, early days, only 2 weeks old, but all doing well
big_smile.png

I think you have  a melanizer or the eb allele acting on these birds. The birds are a bit redder hue and darker. I don't think it is autosomal red because the salmon breast( that I can see) isn't that darker salmon color. The females aren't bad. I wish you had a pure GSM roo to breed them too. Worth looking for one. Maybe from Bev Davis?  If you could just shake loose a roo from Arla Meininger in Grayling, Mich. , you would be in like Flint. I was never able to get her to share any with my. Maybe she has changed her mind over the years.  I don't know if Marie Cantrell in MT. still has any. You might try asking Walt Boese who runs a Black Powder and Archery shop in Deer Lodge, MT.  I once found a flock at North River Exotics. I forget the State they are in.
 Best,
 Karen

So does anyone have any golden salmon marans?? I just want a few for our family flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom