Golden Salmon Marans

mbenker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Alpine, CA 91901
HI all,

I am trying to dive into a Golden Salmon Maran project. Firstly, I have not been able to locate any hens (or chicks, eggs anything for that matter) whatsoever. I have been fortunate to stumble upon this lovely rooster. While he lacks feathered shanks he is very correct otherwise, at least to my eyes. (I am still VERY new to this Golden Salmon Marans thing. ;). Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. In the interim until I find some suitable hens I have acquired some golden cuckoo maran hens to try and get something going. Any help, tips and advice and of course comments about our rooster would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Missy Benker from Secret Hills Ranch

'Ed' our Golden Salmon Maran Roo

HI all,

I am trying to dive into a Golden Salmon Maran project. Firstly, I have not been able to locate any hens (or chicks, eggs anything for that matter) whatsoever. I have been fortunate to stumble upon this lovely rooster. While he lacks feathered shanks he is very correct otherwise, at least to my eyes. (I am still VERY new to this Golden Salmon Marans thing. ;). Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. In the interim until I find some suitable hens I have acquired some golden cuckoo maran hens to try and get something going. Any help, tips and advice and of course comments about our rooster would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Missy Benker from Secret Hills Ranch

'Ed' our Golden Salmon Maran Roo
Ed is beautiful, I would do a little research before introducing baring from the cuckoo, I had two Golden Salmon come from a hatch of Black Tailed Buff's, and Wheaten chicks...From what I have been able to find, the Golden Salmon is a mutation of the Wheaten. On the other hand I could be completely wrong, put it may be hard to breed out the barring, rather than find a nice wheaten hen to start with. Again, I am no genetic pro, I am just giving you what I recently learned because I could not figure out how I ended up with two Golden Salmon hens, out of Wheat, Blue Wheaten, and Black Tailed Buff's, the research led me to the mutation gene...Good Luck

Ed is beautiful, I would do a little research before introducing baring from the cuckoo, I had two Golden Salmon come from a hatch of Black Tailed Buff's, and Wheaten chicks...From what I have been able to find, the Golden Salmon is a mutation of the Wheaten. On the other hand I could be completely wrong, put it may be hard to breed out the barring, rather than find a nice wheaten hen to start with. Again, I am no genetic pro, I am just giving you what I recently learned because I could not figure out how I ended up with two Golden Salmon hens, out of Wheat, Blue Wheaten, and Black Tailed Buff's, the research led me to the mutation gene...Good Luck
No it is not a mutation of Wheaten. Golden Salmon is the same as Black breasted red. It is "wildtype" A completely recessive color palette consisting of the e+ allele and the Gold gene. It is the original color of the Red Jungle Fowl. You can get a Golden Salmon from the other colors you mentioned because they can be 1/2 Golden Salmon and still look like one of those other colors. But when you breed two birds together which are 1/2 of one color and 1/2 of another color, odds are 25% of the chicks will be the recessive color ( which I this case is Golden Salmon. Frankly, I think it is closer in real life to 12.5%.
However and this is the big "however", those Golden Salmon chicks will most probably carry other unwanted color factors which change the "look" of the Golden Salmon slightly ( like a darker salmon breast) but don't hide Golden Salmon completely. So you have a bird which looks like a Golden Salmon to a novice but probably carries the Mahogany gene, or the autosomal red factor, or something else which keeps it from being pure Golden Salmon. There is a specific method for creating e+/e+ s+/s- Golden Salmon ( Black Breasted Red) hens from a cross between Golden Duckwing and pure Silver Duckwings. It is on page 19 of Van Dort's book "The Genetics Of Chicken Colors-The Basics" ( see her www.chickencolours.com website. I do not know if this method will also mean the any other modifying color factors are also eliminated. Only that it will take you to a scientific e+/e+ s+/s- BBR hen.
Best,
Karen

Thank you for this info. It might be the only way I get more of them. Yes, I said more. I have 2 roos and 4 hens and while I use to hatch and give them away to friends when I lived in texas now I work a lot of hours and I'm in Arkansas. Now I'm down to my few birds and I can't find more to add to them, but I'll hatch more. I've already been told that I can't get birds because I am not a serious breeder just a backyard flock and don't deserve their precious birds. Their words. Fine, if I can tell get more information recreate the wheel and I don't care who wants them so long as they take care of their birds and love them. I don't show them and don't care who does, flock em. Thank you for the info, I'd be happy to see the birds cackle offer when they become available. Real people with backyard flocks deserve pretty, sweet birds too.

Yes the golden salmon breeders are quite protective of their flocks .I ran into the same problem. I know of two flocks .I don't know if you can get into them. one is at Bev's Marans and the other one is up in Grayling Michigan. I don't remember the ladies name right now in Grayling, I'll think of it later on. you might also try the Missouri poultry book online .it's issued every year. there is one person listed as breeding Partridge Marans .now a lot of people mistake golden salmon for Partridge Marans. it's a long story so if you see somebody breeding Partridge Marans you might want to check and see if they really got golden salmon.
Best ,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom