Good broody- BAD mother (and I am now Mommy...)

DuckiesAndBees

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
One of my ducks has been religiously sitting for almost the full 4 weeks. Yesterday, one egg had a pip. Today, I came home to find empty shell pieces scattered throughout the pen, but no sign of a dead or alive duckling. I looked everywhere and figured the mom ate it (eww...) When I took one last look around, I saw a tiny duckling in the far corner of their house. This duckling was not in the nest with the unhatched eggs, which I thought was kind of weird, but I'm new to hatching and wasn't sure. When I was putting the ducks away for the night I heard this high-pitched squealing and saw the mom attacking the baby. I grabbed it from her and brought it in. Now I have a single duckling who is imprinted on me
barnie.gif
Cutest thing, but peeps it's little head off the moment I walk away. My question is, should I still let the mom sit until the other eggs hatch, or should I go buy an incubator to hatch the other two? Neither one of the other two have pipped. I really hope at least one more hatches so that this one has a friend! Here's a photo:

Another question: how long do newborn ducklings go without pooping? This duckling hasn't pooped yet (as far as I can tell) and is probably less than 24 hours old.

Back
Top Bottom