ChickenCrazy93

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2019
Ontario Canada
I am from Ontario, Canada and decided to start my chicken flock two springs ago, this current spring being my third.
Spring #1
Starting with 15 mixed chicks from a local livestock auction which only one was a hen, just my luck. I then saw 40! free cockerel from a German Bielefelder breeder down the road. All the cockerel were sent to slaughter that fall, except one, and now only one Brahma (mixed with something or other) hen that lays little light brown eggs and a Bielefelder Roo remain.
Spring #2
My luck has changed, I buy 15 more chicks from the local auction and 7 are hens. They also turn out to be green and blue Easter Eggers, exciting! I pickup 40 bielefelder cockerel yet again accompanied by 4 pullets. That summer to my surprise my Original hen is the broodiest girl I ever saw, hatching 30 big healthy chicks with my Bielefelder Roo, (we kept 4 pullets and sold the rest). I then pickup two bielefelder hens straight from Germany in hopes to hatch my own bielefelder the next spring. After sending all the cockerel to slaughter in fall - except three- I am left with:
1- Brahma mix hen
10 - Bielefelder hens
7- Easter Eggers
1 - Easter Egger Roo
2 - Bielefelder Roo
But of course that isn’t enough, I wanted more pure bred birds. In hopes to get more egg colours.
That winter I defied nature and had 16 more chicks imported through a friend.
4- Chocolate Oprington
4- Crested Cream Legbar
4- Mottled Orpington
4 - Silver Laced Wyandotte
After having some disappointing issues and mortalities at the beginning, 10 chicks survived.
3- chocolate Orpington
4- created cream legbar
1 - Mottled Orpington
2 - silver laced Wyandotte
Spring #3 (now)
Now with a flock 31 strong we have eggs galore and started up an incubator. Our first hatch comes on March 16th 2019 with promising results. This summer I am looking to add some Marans to the group and maybe some other exciting breeds along the way. Loving the chickens sooo much

Last edited:
:yesss: :welcome :yesss:
Miss Piggy Sue says, “Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC!”

D764D181-26EE-45FE-9E00-BD4683B283B4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom