Good morning! Newbie here in need of advice

lilibean

Hatching
Feb 9, 2016
Hi! I'm Crystal from IONE, Ca. We bought a polish Roo at auction... He is very sneaky and aggressive with me. He seemed calm and let me pet him (when my husband was around) yesterday he attacked and spurred my leg. I kicked him but that made it worse! It was ON according to him! :/ He got out of his pen. He wouldn't let me in the house. He stood on my front porch and puffed his feathers and crowed just stalking me. Everytime i headed for the door he would charge. I had to get a rake and defend myself just to get into the house. We got him to breed with our polish hen, Tina turner, who is the sweetest chick. Any ideas?
Thanks

Hi :welcome Crystal

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid if he were mine he would be heading for the pot. In general you can't get this behaivour out of them. With so many other boys out there looking for homes you don't have to put up with this from him. Breeding him to your polish hen could pass these aggressive traits on and that's not a good thing. I know it may seem harsh but he could cause some serious damage. The learning centre has the managing your flock section with some articles on aggressive Roos, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck :frow

Hi Crystal and welcome to BYC. I second Tyke coop's post above - get rid of the little nutter! There are nice roos out there (so I'm told) but some are just downright crackers and not worth the stress.

All the best
CT

I've yet to meet a rooster that I get along with. My last ones went buhby last summer due to them attacking me every time I got near my hens. I have a scar on my hand where one grabbed ahold of me when I was reaching down to check on one of my girls. There are some people who say they can break a mean rooster. My only solution is to invite them for dinner. If you really want to keep him there are some forums on here with solutions to correct his behavior. Let us know how it turns out.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Polish are generally a docile and gentle breed but the meanest rooster I ever had was a Golden Laced Polish rooster named Ivan who would attack anyone and anything. Unfortunately it's virtually impossible to break a rooster like that (I couldn't do it with Ivan), so I agree with Yorkshire coop; it's time for him to head to the pot. Also, I wouldn't recommend breeding him with your hens as you don't want to breed that kind of aggression into your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi! I'm Crystal from IONE, Ca. We bought a polish Roo at auction... He is very sneaky and aggressive with me. He seemed calm and let me pet him (when my husband was around) yesterday he attacked and spurred my leg. I kicked him but that made it worse! It was ON according to him!
hmm.png
He got out of his pen. He wouldn't let me in the house. He stood on my front porch and puffed his feathers and crowed just stalking me. Everytime i headed for the door he would charge. I had to get a rake and defend myself just to get into the house. We got him to breed with our polish hen, Tina turner, who is the sweetest chick. Any ideas?
Thanks
Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! You can get rid of him or teach him that you're alpha not him.

welcome-byc.gif

I have to agree with the other greeters, get rid of him. You don't want to end up hurt or have him attacking a child or visitor. Sorry he's so aggressive, if you need a well-behaved rooster, I think you can do better than this guy.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much! I am not opposed to getting rid of him or making some gumbo tonight. My husband thinks he just doesn't like women, he isn't aggressive with him. I don't want to pass on those traits.
We have an Americana Roo, a Bantum Roo, Bard, and Jersey, (all seperate coops) and all of them are friendly, they come up to me eat out of my hands.. No aggression. This guy is just a bad egg, I told my husband there is a reason this dude went to auction. :/

Back
Top Bottom