ChicksandJacque

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
Hi I'm Jacque,
I've cared for grown chickens, but I've never raised chicks of my own. This fall I took the plunge and am finishing up my chicken coop and run. Coops just about ready for my chicks. My chicks are in a brooder in my house, warm and comfy. They are 3 1/2 week and 1 1/2 weeks old. The first 6 were shipped from a hatchery They all did fine. I then added 6 more from Rural King. I lost 3 of the younger chicks within 3 days of picking them up at Rural King. I wish I would have been better prepared with some remedies. The other 3 seem to be doing ok. I'd like to replace the 3 that I lost, but I'm a little worried they won't do well with my older chicks. Any advice?

Hi I'm Jacque,
I've cared for grown chickens, but I've never raised chicks of my own. This fall I took the plunge and am finishing up my chicken coop and run. Coops just about ready for my chicks. My chicks are in a brooder in my house, warm and comfy. They are 3 1/2 week and 1 1/2 weeks old. The first 6 were shipped from a hatchery They all did fine. I then added 6 more from Rural King. I lost 3 of the younger chicks within 3 days of picking them up at Rural King. I wish I would have been better prepared with some remedies. The other 3 seem to be doing ok. I'd like to replace the 3 that I lost, but I'm a little worried they won't do well with my older chicks. Any advice?
Sometimes you can find older chicks at RK that may be closer in size to yours

Thank you! Yes, it's so hard to lose these little girls. The first one to die seemed more sudden. I hadn't noticed that she was listless, but then I found her listless. She died within the hour. The second and third chicks, I had noticed were smaller than the others. They grew sick within a day of one another. They were lethargic, some pasty bottoms (which I gently removed with some warm water), then they stopped eating and drinking. I tried giving them some egg yolk (no interest) and sugar water, which they had a little interest in at first but soon stopped eating and drinking. I have been keeping an eye on the heat lamp. I have a fairly roomy brooder so there was plenty of opportunity to move away from the heat if needed. All the chicks seem to be regulating themselves fine, so I don't believe this was the issue. :(

Thank you! Yes, it's so hard to lose these little girls. The first one to die seemed more sudden. I hadn't noticed that she was listless, but then I found her listless. She died within the hour. The second and third chicks, I had noticed were smaller than the others. They grew sick within a day of one another. They were lethargic, some pasty bottoms (which I gently removed with some warm water), then they stopped eating and drinking. I tried giving them some egg yolk (no interest) and sugar water, which they had a little interest in at first but soon stopped eating and drinking. I have been keeping an eye on the heat lamp. I have a fairly roomy brooder so there was plenty of opportunity to move away from the heat if needed. All the chicks seem to be regulating themselves fine, so I don't believe this was the issue. :(
It is difficult on the heart to lose them for sure! Not all chicks make it to adulthood unfortunately, we do the best we can and hope for the best. :hugs

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for your losses. I would suggest keeping chick electrolytes and corid for emergencies.
If you want to add little ones, do it before the older ones reach 4 weeks. Be prepared with an additional brooder in case it doesn't work out. Raising them all out in the coop with a couple of brooder plates would be ideal. The more room they have the better they'll get along.

Back
Top Bottom