Good pet ducks?

I like pekins for their un earned sense of dignity. They stand proud then slip in their own poo and fall down the coop ramp everyday

And they have a goof smile

very food motivated and calm

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181124-174231_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181124-174231_Gallery.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20181124-174302_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181124-174302_Gallery.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20181124-174338_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181124-174338_Gallery.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 15
Ducks are so much different than chickens. At the very least they need kiddie pools for bathing, drinking and eating, yes they need water to eat! Duck poop is always so wet, broody poop is in my opinion some of the worst poop ever.
I have heard Muscovy is the least pool needy breed of ducts (they do required deep enough waterer to be able to clean nostrils, but not the whole bath)

Personality-wise I like my Blue Swedish better than my Khaki Campbells. The KCs are a bit flighty even though they were hand raised. Both are friendly. They do raise the alarm when there is stranger danger. The Swedish lay eggs that are like twice the size of the KCs, KC eggs are close to chicken egg size (not sure if this is a priority for you).

It depends on what you are looking for, really. Most of the heavy breeds are calmer and more agreeable to human contact. Pekin, Rouen, Blue Swedish, and Saxony ducks fall into this category. Saxony ducks are good layers, too, but I can't speak for the rest.

Call ducks are as cute as can be, but very active and noisy, and they can fly if their wings aren't clipped. Few eggs with these, I would guess, and they are more vulnerable to predators because of their small size.

Muscovies are by far the quietest, but not great layers. They go broody a lot, too, and the females can fly well.

Runner ducks have a lot of personality and a lot of energy, but they can be very friendly and they lay well. I think these and call ducks are the most entertaining breeds.

I personally love muscovies! I've had other, more domestic, duck breeds before I got my hands on a muscovy. I've had Crested, Welsh harlequin, Magpie and more recently a Khaki Campbell drake, male, that came with a muscovy drake.
[…]
Ducks make a peeping sound, one of my ducks make a loud raspy horn like sound though. Drakes hiss... Take a look on YouTube and see what I mean. Muscovies are one of the quietest duck breeds, if you need a quiet breed go for a muscovy.
[…]
That hiss and their faces is why i can't get used to Muscovy Ducks. To me, they look too much like geese and i had a bad experience with a Gander when i was a little boy…
But i might be absolutely wrong, never had a Muscovy, heart so many good things about them, but their resemblance to geese…

Back
Top Bottom