Good pet ducks?

Love our Jumbo Pekin clowns. Whenever we are cranky and grumpy, we just sit and watch them and their antics and can't help but laugh and smile.

And I mean, what is cuter than a little duck lovin snuggles?

Attachments

• IMG_3821.JPG
    IMG_3821.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3822.JPG
    IMG_3822.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 33
Snuggly ducks have always managed to melt my heart so easily. If none of the Muscovies I get in the future wind up being cuddly I'll have to find myself a snuggle duck of another breed.

When I was a little kid I encountered what I now believe was of the Pekin breed. Someone had abandoned himat a lake within a public park. He had obviously been raised a pet, as he was so friendly he walked over to me and just let me pick him up like we'd done that a thousand times. He had some kind of neurological damage and had trouble with his gait, but he was incredibly sweet and loved to be pet and held.

I was worried about him having such a hard time getting around, and that the rampant predators would get him, so I took him home with me and kept him so I could care for him. He was an absolute darling and an utter ham. Unfortunately he didn't make it a long time, dying in his sleep one night. I was so upset when he died. I had come to really love that sweety duck.

Knowing what I now do, he probably was fed something neurotoxic and the owner just didn't want to deal with his troubles so they ditched him. I miss the fluffy goof ball to this day.

Thinking back to him I wonder... Maybe my ideal snuggle duck is a Pekin after all.

My Pekins are pretty friendly, they'll let me pat their fronts, and they always eat from my hands. They don't like being handled, but never bite me.
Mine have a checkered past, they were surrendered (the story is they were deprived of water) to a shelter, split from some siblings then I got them.
I'm sure if I had raised them as babies they'd be friendlier.

Thank you all so much! I think I'll get Pekins!
Do you all know what breed would be the healthiest? I'm just kind of curious.
Thanks and have a wonderful day!:D

Thank you all so much! I think I'll get Pekins!
Do you all know what breed would be the healthiest? I'm just kind of curious.
Thanks and have a wonderful day!:D
Don't get jumbo pekins, they can have leg problems and don't live too long, since they're bred for food. No first hand experience here, just what I've read.

Back
Top Bottom