Good Pets???

Thanks. We have my goats and horse on the other side. We have put my horses and emus together and they did fine. My chickens sometimes fly in there and they dont bother them. I was just wondering if I could put a donkey or alpaca in with them. I have 2 emus. One is almost 30 and the other is 9. There names are Brownie and Daisy. They are the sweetest emus and I love to hug them.

Anything......as long as it's on other side of 6ft fence lol Emus like to be on their own, specially breeding pairs. unless you want problems and many other Pet Animals could get hurt some time or another. Who can run as fast as an Emu?? that's when the hurt can start. injury follows.Just once a day is too many times. But...they do like to watch other Animals in nearby fields. Calla

yup.. we've seen them kill several birds.. attack one of the barn cats and even go after a deer.... and mine LOVE hugs... but loving hugs doesn't make them safe for everyone and everything...

as a note...
I was talking to a former boarder patrol officer the other day who related to me a story .. here's his email to me.. word for word.. this happened in Del Rio, Texas...

"True story! We once came across two undocumented aliens (Mexicans) but one of them was literally torn to pieces (his clothes) and he had some bad scrapes on his chest and the back of his legs. We asked what had happened and they said that they were really hungry, were walking over a week and came upon this huge chicken and decided there and then to kill it and have a feast. Well, it was an Emu and the Emu kicked his *** big time!"

So not every emu is always peaceful... granted those guys tried to catch it to kill it..but that's one emu who didn't just "run away"
There have also been stories on here of emus attacking and killing pets as well as attacking other emus...

Okay, thanks. I know the emus don't like my chickens and tolerate geese when they fly in but have not purposely put them in. Thank you for the warnings before anything happened. Do you know what would stop emus from laying. She hasn't laid for 3 years.

3 years ? are you sure it's a girl ? my girls laid at 18 and 19 months old 1st time, and 25 eggs 1st year.
Did you have them from chicks and you hatched them ?

Okay, thanks. I know the emus don't like my chickens and tolerate geese when they fly in but have not purposely put them in. Thank you for the warnings before anything happened. Do you know what would stop emus from laying. She hasn't laid for 3 years.
is she being bred?, female emus often will not lay if they are not being bred by a male...

I was just having fun, but also wanted to know something....

I put on a big hat, some sort of mask, a coat )...they have never seen...one day quietly went in to .my eldest pair of Emus now 6 ( I bred them ) Zeppi came running to me...6 ft tall, must have been on his toes lol...grunting.....hissing .....and showed me a leg, little side kick... but I was in front of him... then I talked to him, and he was so embarrassed lol then realised, it was Mum.. calmed down and wanted a cuddle.
Excellent Guard Animals.

If this had been a Stranger, sure he would have dealt with him fast.....
They killed a few big rats in their house and wild Rabbits in paddock, they don't like any Intruders, no matter how many legs lol trying to steal food ...but were flattened... instead...lol

Last edited:
I have a pair of female emu who reject all the males and are fenced in there own pen alone, they lay a lot of eggs and have never been breed since I rescued them off the highway after the sheriff's office called me to ask me to catch them , they were pretty wild but since then they have turned out to be big babies , not sure why yours aren't laying ,are you sure she is a female .

Wow! I stopped following this thread a long time ago.
smile.png
I didn't realize so many people posted

Hi I was wondering if you could help me
I am planning on getting rheas but I wanted to know what I need to get before they arrive
What food do they need ?
What shelter ?
Man I safe to go near them ?
How do I move them ?

Hi, Yes emus make good pet. I raise Blue Black Ostriches. I have over 500 breeder birds. Blue Blacks crosses are good natured birds. I do not raise Ostrich with any amount of Red Ostrich genetics. There is a big difference in Ostriches. 26 years experience working with ratites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom