Good Pets???

WOW, I would love to see a picture of the cross if you have one I did not know you could do this

sorry miss read it I didn't think you could cross breed them but thought that was what I read my apologies I am still interest if they are calm like the emu.

Okay, thanks. I know the emus don't like my chickens and tolerate geese when they fly in but have not purposely put them in. Thank you for the warnings before anything happened. Do you know what would stop emus from laying. She hasn't laid for 3 years.
( I know this is and old post jut though you might want to know). The owners of the emu that laid the eggs I'm incubating that are wiggling about as I type, didn't start laying after SEVEN YEARS, then this year (their 7th year) her girl just started laying. So weird...

I wonder if some wild females don't breed every year. Felicity was 'squeezed out' a couple of times, but she was an exception 'cause she chose to stay here at the house-clearing.

Greedy didn't breed til she was four; Felicity til she was five.

SE

All the ratites get drained hard core when they lay their eggs, which is why the males have to do most of the incubation. If the females had to expend all that energy to produce those large eggs AND sit around incubating/rearing chicks, they'd die.

No doubt that wild ratites would only produce eggs when the female is well fed, and I bet they skip entire lay seasons during lean times.

Find a diagram of the size of Rhea egg to Rhea body. Gives an insight into how the males came to do the parenting.

And here's a thing that came to mind this season: i wonder if the wild birds are already bulked up by mid summer. I t h i n k I see them doing less grazing

Certainly in Spring, I've seen Felicity -- after a winter of grass (and wheat and sultanas wa ha ha ) spend literally hours scoffing literally hundreds of Little Yellow Flowers (cape weed).

Hour after hour on her knees. But the birds seem to spend a lot of time, at this time of year, just hangin' out.

se

Last edited:
i guess i post my experianc of Emus.

I just LOOOOVE these animals, and ill consider all my animals that aint to be eaten pets. So we´ve had emus for over a year now and we keep our in the yard. We have fenced our yard so there is no running outside but there has been the ocasional escape and boy let me tell you it aint easy getting those inside again.
But they are very friendly to all the animals on the yard. Even our bunny keep them in place :p

Altough they do tend to eat metal and earings. But its the lifestyle we have chosen. So yes and most of the recent posters have said. They are great animals if you hand raise them and you keep them fenced and you are going to have a great time i tell ya :)

Back
Top Bottom