Good pip or should I worry

Yes, chicks need to be taken out within 24 hours, they should not be left in the incubator for dags...

Last edited:
How do you float test live eggs? What would I look for?

Im sorry, ive been runnin around behind my own hatch. I havent ever float tested, but its dont by putting the egg in warm water. If it floats and wiggles on its own, even just a lil bit, its live, if it sinks then its passed on and if it floats but doesnt move, then its passed on. This experiment shouldnt be done until a full day after the last hatch from what ive read.

I just candle. With my flashlight i can tell if the egg is still live or not... Yest you said it was day 23? Thats awful late in the game, what breed are they? Also what type of bator do u have? My first run was with a styro and that thing didnt hold constant temps for jack, im thinking you either have a problem like that, Or maybe the bator is set too low? Have you got at least a second thermometer in there? Have you callibrated those instruments? At least you got a few hatchers and that orig babe made it :)

Last edited:

Both bad eggs :(

Hi, sorry to drop in so late. i sort of glanced over all the other posts and if you'll mark the air cells with a pencil when you candle as long as the pip is above the air cell it's fine. as for the water candling / float test NEVER do it on an egg with either an internal or external pip and if you're unsure because the egg is too dark don't do it. if you are positive of no internal or external pip a live embryo will 'kick' around and the egg will move when floating in the water.

Hi, sorry to drop in so late.   i sort of glanced over all the other posts and if you'll mark the air cells with a pencil when you candle as long as the pip is above the air cell it's fine.  as for the water candling / float test NEVER do it on an egg with either an internal or external pip and if you're unsure because the egg is too dark don't do it.   if you are positive of no internal or external pip a live embryo will 'kick' around and the egg will move when floating in the water.

:thumbsup good info!

A big shout out to everyone here. I just want to thank you for everything. We ended upwith 5 little leghorns and one little black and white I. Thinking maybe astrology or barred rock not sure. They are in the little home we built with a heat lamp cause it's getting cold here in Texas finally, below 70.

Now I have to deal with a hurt hen. For some unknown reason one of the chihuahuas decided to attack her this morning. She's not bleeding but has a couple small bite holes and a couple sections that look like just the skin is pulled away in back leg/tail area. I posted on the other forum to see if I can find emergency help so we'll see what comes across there. I did wash her up with warm water and have her in a warm bathroom inside. She's moving around so I'm thinking that's a good sign. Keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks again for all egg help you're all awesome

Hi sorry have been MIA!
Glad most hatched :)
Poor hen, no experience there sorry except when my dogs attached my hen and had to put her out of her misery :(

Back
Top Bottom