27 hours since pip and no zip!

HuskerChickMom

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2017
It has been 27 hours since this chick pipped and the hole has gotten a little bigger, but no real progress. It is still chirping, but I’m afraid something is wrong. Is there anything I can do? Picture of the egg included on this post.

Attachments

• A132523F-51BC-443E-9D1A-42E3FFC4A7AA.jpeg
    A132523F-51BC-443E-9D1A-42E3FFC4A7AA.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 31
I tried to help a little just now, but there was a little bit of blood so I stopped. I feel so bad because I don’t think it’s going to make it!
okay that means it is not ready yet
i would not give up hope but do keep it in mind that it might not make it
have you wetted the membrane?
if not then wet the membrane it will help the chick hatch
fingers crossed

okay that means it is not ready yet
i would not give up hope but do keep it in mind that it might not make it
have you wetted the membrane?
if not then wet the membrane it will help the chick hatch
fingers crossed
I did wet the membrane just now and pulled a little more shell off. It kicked and its head and most of its body hatched. I left it in the incubator and it looked exhausted! Hopefully when I check again it will have completely hatched. It looked like all blood vessels had dried up, but I don’t know about the yolk since it’s bottom half was still in the shell and I didn’t want to pull it away for fear of hurting the chick.

I did wet the membrane just now and pulled a little more shell off. It kicked and its head and most of its body hatched. I left it in the incubator and it looked exhausted! Hopefully when I check again it will have completely hatched. It looked like all blood vessels had dried up, but I don’t know about the yolk since it’s bottom half was still in the shell and I didn’t want to pull it away for fear of hurting the chick.
Awesome
Yes leave the chicks bottom half in but by now if the chick is still not out of the shell what you can do is look at the chicks tummy and if you see nothing then gently slip the chick out but check if any of the membrane is stuck on the chick sometimes the membrane gets stuck to the feathers this happened to one of my ducklings I had to wet the membrane that was stuck and gentle get it and cut some of the membrane of but hopefully the chick will have got out already
Good luck

Last edited:
I did wet the membrane just now and pulled a little more shell off. It kicked and its head and most of its body hatched. I left it in the incubator and it looked exhausted! Hopefully when I check again it will have completely hatched. It looked like all blood vessels had dried up, but I don’t know about the yolk since it’s bottom half was still in the shell and I didn’t want to pull it away for fear of getting the chick.
Awesome
Yes leave the chicks bottom half in but by now if the chick is still not out of the shell what you can do is look at the chicks tummy and if you see nothing then gently slip the chick out but check if any of the membrane is stuck on the chick sometimes the membrane gets stuck to the feathers this happened to one of my ducklings I had to wet the membrane that was stuck and gentle get it and cut some of the membrane of but hopefully the chick will have got out already
Good luck
Chick is alive and healthy!! It had weak legs for the first day which is maybe why it couldn’t hatch. It would just lean forward and not stand at all. My 14 year old and I did a little chick physical therapy where he held the feet down and I held the body up so it could get the right position. By the next day, it was up and running with the rest! I’m so happy!!! I thought it wasn’t going to make it! I appreciate your help! You are awesome!

Chick is alive and healthy!! It had weak legs for the first day which is maybe why it couldn’t hatch. It would just lean forward and not stand at all. My 14 year old and I did a little chick physical therapy where he held the feet down and I held the body up so it could get the right position. By the next day, it was up and running with the rest! I’m so happy!!! I thought it wasn’t going to make it! I appreciate your help! You are awesome!
Awesome I am so glad your chick is okay
Your son is older than I am :lau (I am 13)
I appreciate your help! You are awesome!
Your welcome
Aww thanks your too kind :hugs

Back
Top Bottom