Good treats for baby chicks?

No harm in putting it in early. Scatter it out for pecking. Put a bit in the crumb. The chicks will figure it out. I stash crushed oyster shell in flower pots in the garden , ducks and chickens will find it, and it looks nice.

With chicks u can use coarse sand

My chicks are 1 week old today, and I read these cute stories about care. Their butts are now wiped and oiled. Joy, one of my Easter Eggers did NOT appreciate that! I tried some tomato, and they didn't seem to like it. I also put some apple cider vinegar in their water, to help prevent "paste butt." We went to Tractor Supply today, and saw some genies that really chirped LOUDLY! The man at Tractor Supply told us that someone had gone to the Post Office pretending to work for their company, and he STOLE THE BABY CHICKS that were due to come in that day! Can you imagine a person bad enough to steal little, baby chicks???
Enjoy your babies! :jumpy

Apparently not. Just incredible. My thought is that it was probably a familiar face, with a Tractor Supply vest? Maybe a disgruntled ex-employee? Who else could get away with such a scheme? I can only speculate, but it's probably something like that. If the chicks are say, $5 a chick, and they stole 100 chicks... or maybe it was just a revenge thing...I hope he/she is caught. That was SO mean!
The thief is probably planning to sell them on Facebook or Craigslist. I can't imagine they'll be well cared for. 😢😢😢

I'm new to this and trying to be as prepared as possible when the chicks arrive. I have a few questions about treats for baby chicks.
Think of how you care for the various birds you see flitting about your yard. Bluejays, blue birds, red cardinals, hummingbirds, etc. They are hatched far up in a tree or nest we seldom, if ever, see. They are not 'on the light at all. They eat whatever bugs an such momma upchucks until they et out and about on their own. I which case they feed upon whatever's on the ground - invariably ingesting bits of rock and sand or soil with every other peck or so.

Worms. well, sure, as if and when one presents itself for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.

They seem to be omnivores. We regularly toss the scraps left from preparing meals out where they might peck and choose and whatever scraps might be leftover from the meal itself. That, cracked corn mixed with a few crumbles and all the etables they might discover roaming about the grounds seems to result in healthy birds and great eggs for baking!

My neighbor, Joe, would say "You can't poison chickens - they'll eat anything."

Joe, RIP, was born in the proverbial log cabin and had as many years raising chickens as I've lived to date.

Bottom line, don't sweat it - the chickens don't!

I have 1 week old chicks in a brooder on chicken starter mash. What grit should I provide? I have crushed oyster shell for my other chickens and also baked, crushed eggshell. Are either of those ok for these little girls?

Back
Top Bottom