Goose 101?

Dolly1218

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Colorado
Hello all! I am looking for information on raising Geese. I have a ton of information on raising ducks, BYC pages bookmarked, and how to feed ducks, but I am having a heck of a time finding anything on geese other than they need grass. As Im sure these questions have been asked, if you could point me to the thread I need I would also appreciate that. I am keeping 1 or 2 geese as pets along with 4 chickens and possibly a duck or two. The chickens will be seperated from the waterfowl at night, but will be ranging together once old enough during the day. Here are the questions:
What do they eat and need to eat daily?
Do they need oyster shell and niacin?
Ducks have to be fed different protien levels at different ages, do geese? If so, what levels at which age?
Are there any foods toxic to geese?
Will a gosling and duckling get along and be enough company for each other?
If you have any other information I would love to hear it! Thank you!

Please get two geese, unless you plan on spending literally all your time with the lone gosling until it's 3 or 4 months old. It's much like having a baby, except you also need to be with the gosling when it sleeps.

Goslings do need niacin - oyster shell is for laying geese.

This is a link for an older PDF version of The Book of Geese by Dave Holderread. It'll tell you what else you need to know.

2 geese! 3 is better just in case something ever happened to one then you still have a pair. Have you picked which breed your going to get? Look for a breed that's more friendly. I'd get all females. I think the males are more aggressive.

I am thinking American Buff or Toulouse (sp?). Would ducks be enough company for 1 goose, or would it be best to just get 2 geese?

Hello all! I am looking for information on raising Geese. I have a ton of information on raising ducks, BYC pages bookmarked, and how to feed ducks, but I am having a heck of a time finding anything on geese other than they need grass. As Im sure these questions have been asked, if you could point me to the thread I need I would also appreciate that. I am keeping 1 or 2 geese as pets along with 4 chickens and possibly a duck or two. The chickens will be seperated from the waterfowl at night, but will be ranging together once old enough during the day. Here are the questions:
What do they eat and need to eat daily? I feed everyone Flock Raiser daily and a side of Oyster Shells when the geese are laying.
Do they need oyster shell and niacin? Female geese need oyster shells during laying season and I supplement Niacin the first 12 weeks.
Ducks have to be fed different protien levels at different ages, do geese? If so, what levels at which age? I've always fed Flock Raiser through all the stages.
Are there any foods toxic to geese? Yes. I believe several toxic foods on the chicken list also apply to watefowl.
Will a gosling and duckling get along and be enough company for each other? I personally would advise 2 goslings.
If you have any other information I would love to hear it! Thank you!

I am thinking American Buff or Toulouse (sp?). Would ducks be enough company for 1 goose, or would it be best to just get 2 geese?
It can be done but I think they'd all be much happier with another friend of the same species.

Unless you are going to have a house goose and spend 24/7 with the gosling you better get 2 for sure. They need each others company and geese do not have the same habits as ducks do. They are much happier with their own kind. This does not mean you can not have ducks too. But I recommend two for sure. Plus lots of hands on care if you want them to stay people orientated.

Back
Top Bottom