GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

So your on a different time zone than us too your an hour ahead. Being born and raised in Florida I never got to really enjoy the changing of the seasons I think that is what I would miss the most if I had to move away for the mountains of NC. but after last winter, I was thinking Brazil sounds awful good. lol Thanks for the info interesting especially about not having heat in the houses.
It takes a bit of getting used to, that winter´s in July! It makes an interesting difference when I talk to my daughter who stayed in England..When it´s summer there, winter here, they are 4 hours ahead of us. When it´s winter there, summer here, they´re only 2 hours ahead, so when they come over there´s not the jetlag...
Yes, there´s something rather lovely about the first frost and leaves turning orange in autumn, and in the spting with snowdrops poking their little heads up through the melting snow....but I don´t miss it enough to want to return to the cold!
lol.png

Last winter when I was reading the threads on here, I was wondering how some of you even survive....worse than England.
Some Brazilians have heating in the houses, but very few..usually the rich ones that want to copy the 'first world' as they say. In general people don´t bother, because the winter is so short and mild..they have swimming pools (unheated usually) instead.
We don´t have a pool, it´d be full of goose poo!
wink.png

Last edited:
It takes a bit of getting used to, that winter´s in July! It makes an interesting difference when I talk to my daughter who stayed in England..When it´s summer there, winter here, they are 4 hours ahead of us. When it´s winter there, summer here, they´re only 2 hours ahead, so when they come over there´s not the jetlag...
Yes, there´s something rather lovely about the first frost and leaves turning orange in autumn, and in the spting with snowdrops poking their little heads up through the melting snow....but I don´t miss it enough to want to return to the cold!
lol.png

Last winter when I was reading the threads on here, I was wondering how some of you even survive....worse than England.
Some Brazilians have heating in the houses, but very few..usually the rich ones that want to copy the 'first world' as they say. In general people don´t bother, because the winter is so short and mild..they have swimming pools (unheated usually) instead.
We don´t have a pool, it´d be full of goose poo!
wink.png
Last winter was a doozy for sure, hope we don't see that again for some time. I think it had to do with global warming though don't you?
lol.png

Now you really have me confused how can the time be different just because of the changes in the seasons?

Boy that would be a mess trying to keep a poool clean with a herd of geese wanting to swim in it.
sickbyc.gif

Last winter was a doozy for sure, hope we don't see that again for some time. I think it had to do with global warming though don't you?
lol.png

Now you really have me confused how can the time be different just because of the changes in the seasons?

Boy that would be a mess trying to keep a poool clean with a herd of geese wanting to swim in it.
sickbyc.gif
While you guys were freezing, we had hardly any rain, and it was the rainy season. some farms around here have dried-up wells! Crazy weather for sure! I think, though, that here it´s to do with the lack of trees...it slowly changes the climate. The government is now trying to rectify the problem, but of course it takes a very long time to grow new forests! One thing they´re trying to do is get landowners to leave 3 or 5 metres of woodland all along any rivers and marshes they may have on their land, to provide a corridor for wildlife. we´ve planted over a hundred saplings in our bit, some of them are already really tall, but it takes a while for farmers to accept these things. And that´s ok if the cows don´t eat it all, too!

Right..as for the change in seasons and time..So, in the northern hemisphere, spring (March) comes and the clocks go forward an hour...here, in the southern hemisphere, autum (March...same month) comes and the clocks go back an hour, so the difference goes from 2 hours to 4.

And yes, 21 geese in a swimming pool would be great to see, but terrible to clean! (Sold some of them, used to have 28. I have one more pair to sell)

My adult ganders are quite settled with their mates, but I have 3 young ganders who just want to mount each other, so funny to see them. Usually breaks out in a small scuffle, while the available females are all around them, ducking their heads and bathing and flirting like mad!
The mature ones are just starting to look for nest-sites now.

While you guys were freezing, we had hardly any rain, and it was the rainy season. some farms around here have dried-up wells! Crazy weather for sure! I think, though, that here it´s to do with the lack of trees...it slowly changes the climate. The government is now trying to rectify the problem, but of course it takes a very long time to grow new forests! One thing they´re trying to do is get landowners to leave 3 or 5 metres of woodland all along any rivers and marshes they may have on their land, to provide a corridor for wildlife. we´ve planted over a hundred saplings in our bit, some of them are already really tall, but it takes a while for farmers to accept these things. And that´s ok if the cows don´t eat it all, too!

Right..as for the change in seasons and time..So, in the northern hemisphere, spring (March) comes and the clocks go forward an hour...here, in the southern hemisphere, autum (March...same month) comes and the clocks go back an hour, so the difference goes from 2 hours to 4.

And yes, 21 geese in a swimming pool would be great to see, but terrible to clean! (Sold some of them, used to have 28. I have one more pair to sell)

My adult ganders are quite settled with their mates, but I have 3 young ganders who just want to mount each other, so funny to see them. Usually breaks out in a small scuffle, while the available females are all around them, ducking their heads and bathing and flirting like mad!
The mature ones are just starting to look for nest-sites now.
That's amazing I forgot all about the time changes. lol duh..

So again this year while were all freeing we'll be able once again to enjoy your goslings, so lots of pics okay. makes us dream of spring and the wonders that go with it.

Hey you need to teach these farmers our secrets as to how to keep livestock from eating trees, bushes etc put fencing around everything
smile.png

That's amazing I forgot all about the time changes. lol   duh..  

So again this year while were all freeing we'll be able once again to enjoy your goslings, so lots of pics okay. makes us dream of spring and the wonders that go with it. 

Hey you need to teach these farmers our secrets as to how to keep livestock  from eating trees, bushes etc put fencing around everything :)
and fencing can be made out of vining or palm leaves! Doesn't have to be bought, can be woven.

I'm sorry to hear about Neus, Good thing you have new babies so Pablo won't feel so lonely. Will you introduce the new goslings to Pablo soon?
He met them this sunday but I don't think they like it, I think it's gelous because he bite them, and only bite the goslings, the moorhen chicks don't do them anything.
He will be used to them.
Thanks

and fencing can be made out of vining or palm leaves! Doesn't have to be bought, can be woven.
I think the cows would eat it!
lol.png

That's amazing I forgot all about the time changes. lol duh..

Hey you need to teach these farmers our secrets as to how to keep livestock from eating trees, bushes etc put fencing around everything
smile.png
Well I just hope the geese I want to breed do produce goslings this year.... as I said, the older ganders know what it´s all about, but the younger ones seems a bit distracted yet!
tongue.png

Fencing around everything... our place looks like a pinball table with all the little fences around the saplings! And that´s just to keep the geese off!
There are farmers who understand the environment issue, and they want to conserve trees, and are doing fine...it´s the ones who aren´t interested that would rather their cows eat the trees!! Generally people seem to understand that fewer trees mean less water, but they tend to think someone else should plant them on someone else´s property. Well, we can only do our bit......

I use old wooden packing pallets as "tree guards" until the trees are big enough that my sheep can't eat them to the ground. Has worked quite will to keep the horses off them too.

Back
Top Bottom