Goose egg help please newbie!

Leahs

Hatching
Aug 6, 2022
Please help! This is our first “breeding” season for our geese. Mumma laid 6 eggs, we are down to 4. She is incubating them herself, not in an incubator.

From what I can understand these are fertile due to the shadow/air sack? Or were at some point. She started sitting on the night of 6th of July, I’m measuring by that so today being 32 days.

My problem is, I haven’t seen any movement like others report are meant to happen. But I also don’t have a very great light so not sure if that’s a problem on my end. I don’t know when or if I should now take these off her. We assume she is a pilgrim if that helps. I was expecting them to start piping by now. 😔 please help I don’t want her to sit any longer if these are duds.

Please excuse terrible photos, horrible light under a jumper and with mumma goose watching me very closely from behind 😅

Attachments

• D7811205-F9D7-42E1-A65D-31539CBB3051.jpeg
    D7811205-F9D7-42E1-A65D-31539CBB3051.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 5D8DADEB-8C8B-4A6E-856D-D236C34F4982.jpeg
    5D8DADEB-8C8B-4A6E-856D-D236C34F4982.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2FAEE839-BCCF-4113-AE4A-724E53181E81.jpeg
    2FAEE839-BCCF-4113-AE4A-724E53181E81.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 6
I had this with my duck she was sitting but not fully incubating the eggs so her babies didn’t hatch till day 30-31
The looks of the photos they look full so there is a baby in them
You couldn’t see any flickers or shadowing ? In the 2nd pic by your thumb it looks like the baby was pushed through the membrane or at least pushing on it
Do the eggs have a smell ?
If you put your ear to them do you hear any scratching or peeps ?
If no smell I would give them another day or two
It’s possible she may have been sitting but not incubating for a few days

I had this with my duck she was sitting but not fully incubating the eggs so her babies didn’t hatch till day 30-31
You couldn’t see any flickers or shadowing ? In the 2nd pic by your thumb it looks like the baby was pushed through the membrane or at least pushing on it
Thankyou so much for replying! She’s been pretty good sitting, only gets up twice a day for 5 mins max but she is a new mum so she could be not sitting right. No I can’t see anything but the air sack my light does let illuminate enough I’m from a small town so been hunting for a better light, still trying. They have a smell but just smells like wet goose not rotten or anything, we had one explode and definitely don’t smell like that 🤢 I haven’t put them up to my ear I will do that next time she jumps up. I was certain they were close because on day 29-31 she didn’t jump up off the nest at all and now we’re still here.

Same egg, I got a better light. Any ideas? Couldn’t hear anything in them either. 😔

Attachments

• C64DED1F-9963-43D9-BF6D-F1DE800335EF.jpeg
    C64DED1F-9963-43D9-BF6D-F1DE800335EF.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 6
  • E9175EF4-8C4E-462F-8DE6-C6FEC6B68342.jpeg
    E9175EF4-8C4E-462F-8DE6-C6FEC6B68342.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 6
Can you tell if those are veins close to the air cell ? At this point you should see slight movements but not always as they don’t have much room but you may still see veins just along that air cell edge.
It’s so hard to know cause each egg has its own timeline
Some cons early some gone late and some don’t hatch.

Can you tell if those are veins close to the air cell ? At this point you should see slight movements but not always as they don’t have much room but you may still see veins just along that air cell edge.
It’s so hard to know cause each egg has its own timeline
Some cons early some gone late and some don’t hatch.
No I can’t tell if they are veins unfortunately they just look like little shadows all along the edge of the air cell.

Back
Top Bottom