Goose embryo death at 18 days. Why?

btasso

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
I had 5 Sebastopol eggs and all have died. The final one was today at 18 days. The temp has been 99.5 give or take a ticks of a degree. Does anyone have ideas as to why it would have died? I candled it yesterday and it was moving aroung looking great. I candled it today and it was gone.

Can you give more details, such as the brand of incubator, whether its still air or forced air, what kind of humidity control it has, how you measure and verify temp and RH, information about the eggs such as source, whether or not shipped through the mail, how you handled them prior to going into the incubator, etc., in other words, tell us as much as you can of the whole story, and we'll see what we can do as a group to help.

Sorry about that, it is a loss, I know Sebie eggs are really pricey and kind of hard to get. If its any consulation, I did Pilgrims this year, and only got 3 viable goslings out of a total of 18 eggs shipped to me -- 3 or 4 were broken in transit due to poor packing, and most all of them came with detached air cells.

Last edited:
Quote:
What was your humidity? Your temperature wasnt too bad but I find goose eggs do better at 99F. Mid-term death is more unusual but I suspect it may be related to humidity. This guide will help you if you consider incubating more eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

Pete
wink.png

Im afraid it does sound too high and the possible cause of your embryonic deaths.

I think if you follow the guide next time you'll have a better sucess rate but at least you are moving in the right direction
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom