Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
ok thx she laid her 4th today so i woul say prob another week or less until she commits
It's hard to say every goose has their own time table but when you see her on the nest more than off you'll know she is committing. I'm still waiting on full commitment with mine too.

It's hard to say every goose has their own time table but when you see her on the nest more than off you'll know she is committing. I'm still waiting on full commitment with mine too.
Hi MLyd, So, is she still messing about? Has she laid any more eggs since that late one? None of mine have done that. they all seem to have a very strong broody instinct. Even when there are no eggs!
tongue.png

So is she not brooding properly yet?

Hi MLyd, So, is she still messing about? Has she laid any more eggs since that late one? None of mine have done that. they all seem to have a very strong broody instinct. Even when there are no eggs!
tongue.png

So is she not brooding properly yet?
She staid inside all day yesterday till late afternoon and when she finally came out she had laid another egg # 34. or 5 not sure now. But I did get to candle 4 of her eggs and marked them as already read so today I can look at the others, I'm thinking these aren't good. one was completely clear but i put it back, another had something but no veins and it should have and then there 2 that are dark like something but no veining so unless there is promise in the other 2-3 and these 2 new ones they may not have any gosling this year. I told dh I may start looking for some babies. they are hard to come by here though. I am baffled by all of this. She hasn't come out yet today though either. I just hope her health is good, she looks fine and acts fine when she comes outside though.

Remember even when fully broody the amount of time on the nest has to do with temperature also. When it's warm she'll be off the nest longer or more often. Compared to when it's chilly and she's sitting of course.
big_smile.png

She staid inside all day yesterday till late afternoon and when she finally came out she had laid another egg # 34. or 5 not sure now. But I did get to candle 4 of her eggs and marked them as already read so today I can look at the others, I'm thinking these aren't good. one was completely clear but i put it back, another had something but no veins and it should have and then there 2 that are dark like something but no veining so unless there is promise in the other 2-3 and these 2 new ones they may not have any gosling this year. I told dh I may start looking for some babies. they are hard to come by here though. I am baffled by all of this. She hasn't come out yet today though either. I just hope her health is good, she looks fine and acts fine when she comes outside though.
Lyd, I know she went broody last year, but I can´t help but wonder if she, being a production toulouse, just hasn´t quite got a strong enough instinct to brood properly. You know, like a number of chicken breeds. For instance, I have one brahma-cross something that has the slightest inclination to sit, like, a day! Then she´s off again.
Sounds like some of those eggs started to develop, then got cold. When she comes off, is she still mating with sam? Why don´t you put the new eggs she lays under a different broody? Then if they hatch, give them to her to rear...

Lyd, I know she went broody last year, but I can´t help but wonder if she, being a production toulouse, just hasn´t quite got a strong enough instinct to brood properly. You know, like a number of chicken breeds. For instance, I have one brahma-cross something that has the slightest inclination to sit, like, a day! Then she´s off again.
Sounds like some of those eggs started to develop, then got cold. When she comes off, is she still mating with sam? Why don´t you put the new eggs she lays under a different broody? Then if they hatch, give them to her to rear...
livin, she is is sitting tight today. so I will just leave things as they are, I looked on craigslist for goslings in our area and there was one ad for Chinese but straight run, I can't keep another gander. so we just hope some eggs may still be viable. The still laying is what has me baffled. she was only out for a short time yesterday .

Last edited:
livin is is sitting tight today. so I will just leave things as they are, I looked on craigslist for goslings in our area and there was one ad for Chinese but straight run, I can't keep another gander. so we just hope some eggs may still be viable. The still laying is what has me baffled. she was only out for a short time yesterday .

You can vent sex them yourself rather easily. Waterfowl are much easier than chickens. Last year call ducks were selling high at the sale barn. A couple of sellers knew how to vent sex . A lot of started drakes went for high dollar . Short party someone showed the buyers how to sex them .

livin, she is is sitting tight today. so I will just leave things as they are, I looked on craigslist for goslings in our area and there was one ad for Chinese but straight run, I can't keep another gander. so we just hope some eggs may still be viable. The still laying is what has me baffled. she was only out for a short time yesterday .
So are you just leaving the newer eggs in there with her too? Sounds like she´s broody ok, so hopefully you´ll get some goslings from her.

So are you just leaving the newer eggs in there with her too? Sounds like she´s broody ok, so hopefully you´ll get some goslings from her.
yes the new eggs are in there too, she hasn't come out at all today and it's almost 5:00 pme should I make her come out? she has another 2.5 hrs before lock up.

Back
Top Bottom