Goose of my breeding pair died, what can I do to help my gander?

steckerhomestead

Hatching
May 12, 2023
Hi all, I've never posted here before but have been a lurker for a very long time and all of your posts are always so helpful.

Backstory: I bought two geese (a breeding pair) at an auction three weeks ago. Towards the end of their first week with us they were given a clean bill of health by the only vet nearby that sees farm animals.Yesterday both of my geese were fine, eating and drinking like usual and wandering around etc. This morning, my goose was laying down and had her head on the ground. I called six different vets near to me (the one that saw them initially was double booked all day already) and no one could see her. I did what I could but she passed just a little while ago.

Now I'm worried about my gander. I know he will mourn, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help him? I have a slew of chicks that are all around 2 months old, would it be better if he were bunked with them so that he had some company? In the past he has been curious about them, mostly watching them through the fence and getting as close as he can to it when they are free ranging, but he and his goose have both been quarantined since I bought them just in case.

Should I look around and see if I can get another goose to keep him company?

Any and all advice you can give would be most appreciated!

Hi all, I've never posted here before but have been a lurker for a very long time and all of your posts are always so helpful.

Backstory: I bought two geese (a breeding pair) at an auction three weeks ago. Towards the end of their first week with us they were given a clean bill of health by the only vet nearby that sees farm animals.Yesterday both of my geese were fine, eating and drinking like usual and wandering around etc. This morning, my goose was laying down and had her head on the ground. I called six different vets near to me (the one that saw them initially was double booked all day already) and no one could see her. I did what I could but she passed just a little while ago.

Now I'm worried about my gander. I know he will mourn, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help him? I have a slew of chicks that are all around 2 months old, would it be better if he were bunked with them so that he had some company? In the past he has been curious about them, mostly watching them through the fence and getting as close as he can to it when they are free ranging, but he and his goose have both been quarantined since I bought them just in case.

I'd get him another goose friend.

Hi, I’m having the same concern for my gander. We just lost our goose (we only had one breeding pair) to a fox or coyote. I can’t find a single hatchery that has Embdens available. What did you end up doing for your mourning gander?

Back
Top Bottom