Goose pond ideas?

Naolove

Chirping
Mar 12, 2021
Hello! I have 4 three month old (approximately) geese and I'm looking for pond ideas. They currently have a large kiddie pool and an old bathtub so we are good for this summer but I would like to start figuring out something more permanent for next year. Looking to see what you guys have that works well for either geese or ducks!

Cassian sporting his bandana for you. Also yes I'm aware that is a large pond in the background. However they have deemed it terrifying and cursed and won't go near it 😅

Attachments

• received_820251996397464.jpeg
    received_820251996397464.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 126
I created a pond out of a tarp and some logs and mulch bags and the geese love it...but I've only had it for a week so I don't know how it will work long term.

I am currently using kiddie pools too, but I purchased an 8' above ground pool and am planning to dig a hole in the ground for it so it can be more "natural".... but my sister told me they are making in-ground vinyl pools now so maybe you can look into that.

I haven't installed mine yet, so I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were looking for, but my smallest duck can't make it into the kiddie pool by herself yet. Along with the struggle of cleaning the pool is what put me on the path of the above ground vinyl pool.

I can offer that I added barley straw extract to the kiddie pool and I don't have to empty the pool to clean it anymore. I just scoop out any solids that are floating around, such as feathers, leaves, and weeds and the water does not get gross like it used to.

I am currently using kiddie pools too, but I purchased an 8' above ground pool and am planning to dig a hole in the ground for it so it can be more "natural".... but my sister told me they are making in-ground vinyl pools now so maybe you can look into that.

I haven't installed mine yet, so I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were looking for, but my smallest duck can't make it into the kiddie pool by herself yet. Along with the struggle of cleaning the pool is what put me on the path of the above ground vinyl pool.

I can offer that I added barley straw extract to the kiddie pool and I don't have to empty the pool to clean it anymore. I just scoop out any solids that are floating around, such as feathers, leaves, and weeds and the water does not get gross like it used to.
So what happens to the droppings? Because that's the main cause of me having to clean the water - and also the algae during the summer.

I dug a cheap 10ft above ground pool into the ground as proof of concept. The size works well for the gaggle to paddle and the 2.5-3ft depth allows diving shenanigans. They stand on top of a fish cave to bathe. It also kept goldfish and a turtle alive through a record cold winter. (Osprey nest nearby, so no koi.)

My future plan is to replace it with a real pond. The #1 change I'd make is shallows around the edge vs a sharp drop. That drop was really intimidating at first. Also dig the the edge 1 or 2ft wide and a foot deep, put perforated pipe along the bottom, then add rocks/gravel to turn it into a huge filter. Any plants will get dug up.

My filter is rated for double the gallons, and has UV, and it's still a thick green soup. More filters!

Last edited:
I dug a cheap 10ft above ground pool into the ground as proof of concept. The size works well for the gaggle to paddle and the 2.5-3ft depth allows diving shenanigans. They stand on top of a fish cave to bathe. It also kept goldfish and a turtle alive through a record cold winter. (Osprey nest nearby, so no koi.)

My future plan is to replace it with a real pond. The #1 change I'd make is shallows around the edge vs a sharp drop. That drop was really intimidating at first. Also dig the the edge 1 or 2ft wide and a foot deep, put perforated pipe along the bottom, then add rocks/gravel to turn it into a huge filter. Any plants will get dug up.

The filter is rated for double the size and it's currently a thick green soup. More filters!
Do they scratch holes in the pool lining? I wish I could bury a pool like that but our soil is all clay and rocks!

Do they scratch holes in the pool lining? I wish I could bury a pool like that but our soil is all clay and rocks!

They ignore the lining and I've not seen any wear yet after 1yr. The liner feels very thick but no idea what the actual mil rating is. They'll occasionally balance on the top bars while debating if they want to go in. Ducklings/goslings squeeze through the spaces between the liner pockets and support bars. I also built a floating exit/entrance dock vs a ramp to maximize swimming space.

It definitely doesn't win beauty contests. I do find the light grey and bright blue pebble pattern of the liner stands out. You can't really hide the support bars even though they only stick out a few inches due to birds digging up and dunking anything they can reach.

I completly forgot I asked this 😅😅😅😅 thanks adhd

I will look into the barley straw! And giving them an above ground vinyl pool is an awesome idea haha we have an old one we upgraded from its just sitting in the garage.. I might have to dig it out. Thanks everyone! And sorry for not responding 😅😅

Back
Top Bottom