gosling breathing odd and swollen foot.. help

unfortunately little Smith's foot has not gotten any better. although it is no longer red and warm, it is still enlarged and he limps often. the area has also begun to look a litte scaley at the bottom or the foot where it is swollen and the skin looks flakey (the foot is a healthy color still)? other than his foot he seems to be fine but its been a few days now and i had expected for it to have been better by now. . not sure what to do next

unfortunately little Smith's foot has not gotten any better. although it is no longer red and warm, it is still enlarged and he limps often. the area has also begun to look a litte scaley at the bottom or the foot where it is swollen and the skin looks flakey (the foot is a healthy color still)? other than his foot he seems to be fine but its been a few days now and i had expected for it to have been better by now. . not sure what to do next
@rebbecka Are you giving him extra niacin? Water fowl need more than what chick feed has in it. This could be a niacin deficiency and the tick just made it worse. It's an easy fix though 125 megs of plain niacin tablets crushed up into 1 gallon of drinking water or 1 Tab of Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast added to his feed daily for 10 weeks. Do not use baking yeast. You can also soak the foot in a warm water Epsom salt mix half cup ES to 1 gal of warm water or 4 Tab of ES to 1 pint place the foot into a deep enough bowl that it is fully submerged [FYI] ES is also a laxative so don't let the gosling drink the water. Soak as often and as long as the gosling is comfortable.

Last edited:
i actually had a question on that, i feed my little gosling DuMor Chick Starter/Grower and it very specifically says "no additional vitamins and minerals are not needed, and has goslings as a species it can feed. on the ingredients it says it has Niacin supplement, but not how much exactly.. i googled it and i got allot of mixed answers about if the supplement was enough. would you happen to know ?

i actually had a question on that, i feed my little gosling DuMor Chick Starter/Grower and it very specifically says "no additional vitamins and minerals are not needed, and has goslings as a species it can feed. on the ingredients it says it has Niacin supplement, but not how much exactly.. i googled it and i got allot of mixed answers about if the supplement was enough. would you happen to know ?
@rebbecka All I know is some water fowl just need more than what chick starter offers so we supplement now to make sure he gets it in a natural form I'd use Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast both are natural and believe me if it is a nutritional def you'll know in less than a week. To me it is worth trying than believing what it says on the bag. You could have 5 goslings and only one will show a def but really having all 5 on the BY or NY can't hurt any of them.

I used Purina Flock Raiser with mine and although it show water fowl I still don't take chances and offer the BY with their feed. Dumor is made by Purina.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom